Does my desktop need a wireless card?

spoe71

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
This is probably going to be a very newbie type question; please excuse my illiteracy when it comes to computers.

I use a desktop computer that is wired to the broadband box and the wireless router in my home (in other words, I do not operate the internet with a wireless connection on my desktop). My wife and daughter, on the othe hand, both have notebook computers that run wireless.

Is it required that my desktop have a wireless card in it for their computers to function, or is the wireless network card in my computer just there in case I want to be wireless? As I said, I do not utilize the wireless network on my computer, only on the two notebooks in the house; I use a wire for the internet since the router and cable box are right next to it.

I am guessing the router performs the function of sending out the wireless signal and my computer only has a wireless PCI card in case I want to be wireless, but I didn't want to pull the card out in favor of using that PCI slot for something else if it was going to interrupt their wireless internet activities.