Closed Solved

AC'97 on z77 extreme4?

I have a Cooler Master Storm Trooper, (btw, this is my first build) with a cable labelled "AC'97" attached to the HD Audio cable. I can find the header for the hd audio on the motherboard (AsRock Extreme4 z77) but I can't find the "AC'97" one.
Thanks for answering in advance :D
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about extreme4
  1. Hi,
    Check the manual, page 37
  2. alexoiu said:
    Hi,

the AsRock manual? it only talks about the COM1 header, hdmi header and the atx 12 v header...
    but I think the AC'97 is for a different type of sound system, the hd 7.1 one is for my one... but thanks :D, can you reply for the pg 37 thingie?
  3. Best answer
    AC'97 is an older standard for audio connections, motherboards with a HD output (like the Extreme4) dont support it. Case manufacturers include it to increase compatability with older systems.
    You'l be fine without it, my AC'97 connector is hidden behind the PSU :D.
  4. alexoiu said:
    Hi,

the AsRock manual? it only talks about the COM1 header, hdmi header and the atx 12 v header...
    but I think the AC'97 is for a different type of sound system, the hd 7.1 one is for my one... but thanks :D, can you reply for the pg 37 thingie?
  5. Best answer selected by vinsonc11.
  6. manofchalk said:
    AC'97 is an older standard for audio connections, motherboards with a HD output (like the Extreme4) dont support it. Case manufacturers include it to increase compatability with older systems.
    You'l be fine without it, my AC'97 connector is hidden behind the PSU :D.

Wow, thanks again man of chalk :) so i'll just connect the hd audio cable from the chassis to the hd audio header on the motherboard right?
  7. Yep.
    From there it should just be setting up the front panel audio software wise (you may have to enable it in the BIOS).
Ask a new question

Read More

ASRock Audio Cable Motherboards