Bug in game or video card issue?

kkapferer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi all,

I had an issue arise when playing Fallout New Vegas last night that seems to be pretty persistent, in that I was able to reproduce the error 3 separate times all in the same map location. What seems to be causing it is being underwater for 10(ish) seconds in the Lake Mead part of the map. The crash causes my monitor to all of a sudden not be able to detect input, and it goes into power save mode. Then a short while later I will hear the audio go out. At this point I am not able to alt+tab out or ctrl+alt+del or do anything that will wake up my monitor. My system specs should not be constraining me, especially since I am just running on the auto detect best settings level. For as bug ridden as this game is/was, I can't find anyone else complaining of this issue on the internet.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is software/hardware related? I'm trying to figure out where I need to look to resolve the issue

kkapferer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Sorry forgot to add specs.

Intel i5 760 @ 2.8 Ghz - 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 - HIS Radeon 6870 GPU - OCZ Onyx 32 GB SSD - WD 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD - OCZ ModXtreme 700W PSU - Azza Solano 1000 case

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.