Confusing cpu temperature reads using Core Temp, Speedfan, and AI Suit

grixon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hello,

I am getting very confusing CPU temp readings using the three programs mentioned above in the title.

During idle, Core Temp recrods 20-30ish C for my cores, AI suite II records 20-30ish for CPU while Speedfan records a whopping high of 86C for my CPU

While running prime 95 for 5 minutes, Core temps record 40-50ish for cores, AI suite II records 30-40ish for CPU, and Speedfan records 46C

I have attached the screencaps of the readings so feel free to view them.

I am very confused and particularly concerned about Speedfan's idle reading of 86C. How can my CPU's temperature be lower when loading than idle!? Which one of these programs should I trust?

Thanks for any help!

temperatures.png

temperatures2.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/temperatures.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/temperatures2.png/

nna2

Distinguished
i dont think its possible for there to be a 50C difference between the heatspreader and the internal core, almost all the programs get the temps from the same place so the program you use is really irrelevant

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
there is actually a problem with the sensors, dont worry about it

on my cpu for example it says around 35 oC in bios

then 35oC in hw moniter but the cpuinte or whatever says 115oC

i know this cant happen because cpu would start throttling or shutdown way before then

for an example ill post my temps at the moment

systin 17oC
cputin 126oC
auxtin 70oC

cpu temps

core 0 41oC
core 1 33oC
core 2 37oC
core 3 34oC
core 4 42oC

i know that for some reason the sensor dosnt work properly with the software. and there hasnt been an updated bios in months so unlikely it will be fixed soon

Remember, what is actually being read is the distance from the CPU thermal limit. Based on that distance, you can "guess" what the temperature should be. Problem is, the thermal limit of the CPU si not always known, hence why different software can give different results. [I remember the huge debate between Realtemp and Coretemp over the 9000 series C2Q's; THAT was a fun thread.]