Sign in with
Your question

Intel T and S "power efficient" Turbo Boost Question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Turbo Boost
Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2012 3:21:33 AM

Is it possible to pin the processors to it's max turbo clock through the BIOS settings?

And if so, by turning off the throttling would the CPU stay within it's TDP rating?

I want to take an i5-2500 and keep it at the max turbo setting if possible... I can't find any info on this.

Thanks!

More about : intel power efficient turbo boost question

a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 3:24:46 AM

Yes you can overclock the 2500 to 3.8-4ghz max out on all cores. Though i don't know why you are asking about the t and s cpu's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 3:24:59 AM

yes, thats how you oc them. your mobo still needs to support it.
m
l
January 19, 2012 3:58:44 AM

amuffin said:
Yes you can overclock the 2500 to 3.8-4ghz max out on all cores. Though i don't know why you are asking about the t and s cpu's.

hey thanks for the reply... maybe I was a little (or very) unclear.

I need a T or an S model (45w, 65w TDP) cpu because I am building a mini-ITX HTPC which will also be my DAW.

My case is very space restricted so my biggest issue is heat....but I am trying to minimize the performance hit I am going to take by going with one of the power saving processors.

The i5-2500T, for example, has a base clock of 2.3 and a turbo boost of 2.8... I wanted to know if I can push the BIOS settings so the CPU doesn't throttle and can operate at 2.8 standard. Without increasing the voltage.

For example, in the BIOS can I push the turbo multipliers to the max settings and then the CPU multiplier to the same ratio? And then set the voltage manually?

IIRC, the CPU's can only be pushed past the turbo specs on the K series...but the locked multipliers can be pushed to the max turbo clock..I may be way wrong tho.. that's why i am asking lol

Sorry if I am unclear.. I appreciate the help though.
m
l
January 19, 2012 3:59:37 AM

esrever said:
yes, thats how you oc them. your mobo still needs to support it.

I'm almost positive it does... I am building on an Intel DH61AG
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:38:44 AM

Deeyou said:
And if so, by turning off the throttling would the CPU stay within it's TDP rating?

The average power consumption would increase significantly, and most likely would not fall within the listed TDP. If it were able to then that SKU would be clocked higher.

However, if you plan to only lock the CPU to the highest turbo frequency then I don't really see the point. Anytime that you actually need all 2.8GHz then turbo would kick in and give it to you when it is needed (This happens in a fraction of a second). To lock the CPU at 2.8 doesn't increase your maximum frequency (And thus performance) at all, just removes the power saving quality of Turbo. You are effectively decreasing efficiency without increasing performance.

m
l
!