Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Ivy bridge? any real reason to wait?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • PCI
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 3:46:44 AM

all i see is better watt pull, and the 3.0 pci slots is there any benifit to a 3.0 vs a 2.0 at this moment?

More about : ivy bridge real reason wait

January 19, 2012 4:12:12 AM

I've been doing a little research on this, and you're basically right.

1. A little more power effiecient 2. smaller die at 22mm 3. PCIe 3.0 *if* the board that the ivy bridge will be sitting on is "Gen3." 4. integrated graphics are better?

Also prices of ivybridge cpus will be in the same range as sandy bridge, maybe a slight bit higher.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 5:24:52 AM

i seen the competitor for the 2500k i5 is 5 dollars more i mean they may be a bit faster because they have a22nm process but if your at 4.5 ghz with a 2500k i dont think its reall gonna make much of a difference, only thing i see is there the only proseccors on 1155 (i think) that are going to support 3.0 pci ports ..is there any performance diff between 2.0 and 3.0? if its something like the 8x to 16 x its not even worth upgrading.. in my op
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 6:40:16 AM

2.0 and 3.0 doesn't make any difference in gaming.

also ivy will have minimal cpu improvements, they are mostly working on the gpu side with it.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 128 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 6:42:55 AM

depends on what your upgrading from. if its anything less than a half decent i5 1156 then yes. ie if you have a low end i5 or a core 2 duo then yes it will be a worthy upgrade to wait for... if you have a higher end i5 or better then wait till haswell.
Share
a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 6:43:07 AM

This is what I say, right now atm. Buy i3-2100, higher end z68 board with ib support, then in 4 months buy high end ivybridge cpu to replace dual core i3.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:07:26 AM

amuffufin

a core i5 2500k is only £60 more than an i3 2100

might as well just buy an i5, then in a year or two (it will take that long at least before the cpu starts to bottleneck system)


the only difference really between pci-e 2 and 3 is the bandwidth availible


if i recall current gpu's can use all the bandwidth for pci-e 2 yet. if its like an extra £20 or so then it might be worth getting a board that supports it


but make sure the board has sata 6gbps and usb3
Score
0
a c 90 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:19:17 AM

These are the platform differences allegdedly I'd be expecting official word realy soon though to get the hype-wagon rolling.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-LGA-1155...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Brid...
Some clock for clock difference, (ignore igpu improvements), given the cooler nature possibly a better OC potential, i think the question is, is there any reason not to wait given the lack of price difference.
allegedly more pci-e lanes too, i.e. the pci-3 controller and an additional pci-2 controller, hence mutli pgu/physx setups have a bit more to work with.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:29:50 PM

i think ill stick to getting my i5 2500k and overclock that then if i need to upgrade later on, i dont see much apoint in waiting 2 month for somthing thats only going to give me a few percent performance more , at 4.5ghz i dont think its matter much only in benchmarks
Score
0
January 19, 2012 4:34:16 PM

Lower TDP=Lower temps=better oc under air and common lc setups
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:50:16 PM

If building a new system, there is no reason to get SB ahead of IB.
If you already have a SB system, there is no reason to upgrade to IB.

Thats my take anyways.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:58:10 PM

Best answer selected by robthatguyx.
Score
0
!