Ivy bridge? any real reason to wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
depends on what your upgrading from. if its anything less than a half decent i5 1156 then yes. ie if you have a low end i5 or a core 2 duo then yes it will be a worthy upgrade to wait for... if you have a higher end i5 or better then wait till haswell.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I've been doing a little research on this, and you're basically right.

1. A little more power effiecient 2. smaller die at 22mm 3. PCIe 3.0 *if* the board that the ivy bridge will be sitting on is "Gen3." 4. integrated graphics are better?

Also prices of ivybridge cpus will be in the same range as sandy bridge, maybe a slight bit higher.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i seen the competitor for the 2500k i5 is 5 dollars more i mean they may be a bit faster because they have a22nm process but if your at 4.5 ghz with a 2500k i dont think its reall gonna make much of a difference, only thing i see is there the only proseccors on 1155 (i think) that are going to support 3.0 pci ports ..is there any performance diff between 2.0 and 3.0? if its something like the 8x to 16 x its not even worth upgrading.. in my op

depends on what your upgrading from. if its anything less than a half decent i5 1156 then yes. ie if you have a low end i5 or a core 2 duo then yes it will be a worthy upgrade to wait for... if you have a higher end i5 or better then wait till haswell.

Solution

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
amuffufin

a core i5 2500k is only £60 more than an i3 2100

might as well just buy an i5, then in a year or two (it will take that long at least before the cpu starts to bottleneck system)

the only difference really between pci-e 2 and 3 is the bandwidth availible

if i recall current gpu's can use all the bandwidth for pci-e 2 yet. if its like an extra £20 or so then it might be worth getting a board that supports it

but make sure the board has sata 6gbps and usb3

These are the platform differences allegdedly I'd be expecting official word realy soon though to get the hype-wagon rolling.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-LGA-1155-CPU-maho-bay,news-37094.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,news-37178.html
Some clock for clock difference, (ignore igpu improvements), given the cooler nature possibly a better OC potential, i think the question is, is there any reason not to wait given the lack of price difference.
allegedly more pci-e lanes too, i.e. the pci-3 controller and an additional pci-2 controller, hence mutli pgu/physx setups have a bit more to work with.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i think ill stick to getting my i5 2500k and overclock that then if i need to upgrade later on, i dont see much apoint in waiting 2 month for somthing thats only going to give me a few percent performance more , at 4.5ghz i dont think its matter much only in benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.