Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 BSOD on Wireless adapter connecting to WiFi

Last response: in Windows 8
January 17, 2013 12:52:52 AM

Hello,
I have upgraded Vista to Win8 Pro(32-bit)...upon installing a wireless adapter(Linksys WUSB54GSC w/SpeedBooster) in compatibility mode for Vista, and when I link to unsecured WiFi....BSOD! When booting in XP or Vista, no problems....in Win 7, no problems. The adapter will see available connections, but freak out on connection in Win8...Suggestions? The upgrade assistant say it's compatible.....what gives? No Win 8 driver?
a b * Windows 8
January 17, 2013 1:50:10 PM

Linksys speedbooster is proprietary, you have to get the drivers from Linksys and they stopped making updates for that in 2008. You are out of luck, and will need to find a new adapter for windows 8 and beyond.
January 19, 2013 3:03:23 AM

....I was afraid you were going to say that.......right when I was thinking that the compatibility features for Windows8 was truly going to set it apart from the kind of OS release Vista had with drivers and devices.......<sigh> looks like I've got more device perusing to do----thanx for the reply and the status update on the driver,John!
Related resources

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 19, 2013 2:57:08 PM

The driver was just too old. It was a xp driver that ran in a compatibility mode for vista, then windows 7. if the vendor had made a windows 7 driver you would have been ok but they consider your adapter a dead product.
January 20, 2013 10:07:42 PM

PallindroneT3604 said:
Hello,
I have upgraded Vista to Win8 Pro(32-bit)...upon installing a wireless adapter(Linksys WUSB54GSC w/SpeedBooster) in compatibility mode for Vista, and when I link to unsecured WiFi....BSOD! When booting in XP or Vista, no problems....in Win 7, no problems. The adapter will see available connections, but freak out on connection in Win8...Suggestions? The upgrade assistant say it's compatible.....what gives? No Win 8 driver?

Exactly what happened to me. when i moved into my new apartment, the AT&T guy gave me a free WiFi Adapter, when I used the disc to install the drivers BSOD 2 minutes after. but when I didn't use the disc and just plugged the WiFi adapter in, worked like a charm. sorry for the bad luck man!
January 31, 2013 9:35:09 PM

Best answer selected by PallindroneT3604.
February 4, 2013 6:37:09 PM

Read in the news portion Linksys is being bought out by Belkin, with a dedicated support promise by Belkin.....we'll see if they issue a Win8 driver or not....but, with the adapter at "g" tech level (as opposed to "n" level or any other newer versions), I'm not holding my breath! So, I'll do my main biz w/Vista, I suppose.
March 16, 2013 10:25:53 PM

My final solution was to download the whole set-up prog and go to "Programs & Features"->"Run Programs Made For Previous Versions Of Windows"->"Next"-> "Not Listed"->"Next"-> "Browse" (here, if you downloaded the prog, make sure you unpacked it/unzip it here as well---my case, "Downloads"->"WUSB54GSCv2_20080804")->"WUSB54GSC2-20080804"(*unzipped here)->select "Set-up"->"Next"(back at the Compatibility Wizard)-"Troubleshoot Program"--> make sure here you select "The program worked with earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and "The program requires additional permissions"->"Windows XP Service Pack3"(this is important, as it is an XP driver)->"Test The Program" and continue the set-up...AND do this in Administrator's Level...I got the adapter to then install, w/XP driver in Compatibility Mode and running flawlessly after the set-up!!Try it & Good Luck!!!!! The key is trying the Compatibility mode in Windows 8......it WILL work for this adapter!
!