Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System freezes while playing games

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2011 3:41:21 AM

Not really a homebuilt system but IDK where to put this (First Post)

Recently my computer has been freezing whenever playing video games on my PC. When it freezes the screen stops on the last image that was rendered and a noise goes through the speakers like a buzzing sound.

At first I thought it was a power supply problem because I just installed a 520W Antec HCG, so I returned that and got myself an Antec 750W Earthwatts because I thought that maybe it was a power shortage, but it still kept freezing after playing around 30-50 mins.

I was also going to be getting a new CPU fan, and I thought that high CPU temps could be the problem, so I decided to get myself a Corsair H70 closed circuit water cooling system, but the comp keeps freezing.

The next thing that I think that it could be is the video card. I have an ATI Radeon 4850 which is like 2 years old.

(Background info) I ran Kombustor for my video card for an hour and nothing went wrong, the max temps it reached was around 62C°.

I ran Prime 95 for my CPU for an hour and it was fine, max temps got to around 65C°.

I have SpeedFan running and it logs my info up until after the freeze and the temps are in the mid 50 - low 60C° for my processor and my GPU is at around 65C°.

The computer freezes while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

(System Specs) Nothing is Overclocked or ever has been Overclocked
MOBO: ASUS X58??? or some type of X58 version
Processor: Intel i7 920 2.67GHZ
GPU: ATI Radeon 4850 1GB (Up to date drivers)
RAM: 9GB DDR3 1033MHz
HDD: 500GB Caviar (Green or blue?)
CPU Fan: Corsair H70
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750W

If you need any more info just say so :) 
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2011 3:58:02 AM

reinstall windows
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2011 4:10:29 AM

That is an odd ram size and mhz. Since you have changed the psu and now water cool the cpu you have eliminated a few things , the problem is that without knowing what is causing this it can become rather expensive doing it this way. Is there a way to test the video card in another computer and also is there a way to test another video card in your computer. Because other than reinstalling windows as Outlander suggested it is either the video card or the motherboard slot. Do you know what model Asus board it is?
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 2:27:32 PM

I can't test my vid card on any other comp, I only have this comp and 3 laptops in my house. Also I don't know the exact model of motherboard I have, but the system was orignally a Gateway FX6800-01E, and for the specs online it just says that it is an Intel X58 Express so i guess its not an Asus. :heink: 

Also the ram is set at such a low speed because the Bios is locked and I don't know how to unlock it :(  I have 3 1GB sticks and 3 2GB sticks running in Triple Channel
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2011 2:44:23 PM

RAM is a likely culprit, or HDD.

Are there any games you play that DONT lock up?
m
l
October 19, 2011 8:04:48 PM

AdrianPerry said:
RAM is a likely culprit, or HDD.

Are there any games you play that DONT lock up?

The only other games I have for are TF2 and Warcfrat 3 :) , but I haven't tried them yet , also im gonna try to do what outlander said and reinstall windows since it only takes like 20 mins.

If that doesen't work I can look for an old HDD and see if things will work off of there, or maybe get my brother to bring me one this weekend.
m
l

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2011 8:58:29 PM

reinstall windows
October 20, 2011 10:06:18 PM

Outlander_04 said:
reinstall windows

Lol thanks for the tip Outlander, no more crashing :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:06:27 PM

Best answer selected by patrickoby1.
m
l
May 30, 2012 8:30:01 PM

Really sorry to necro such an old post, but I need to confirm, is your PC still not freezing after the windows reinstall? I have the same problem that you just described and I just reformat the entire computer and put windows back on. Still freezing.
m
l
May 30, 2012 8:47:27 PM

Jishaxe said:
Really sorry to necro such an old post, but I need to confirm, is your PC still not freezing after the windows reinstall? I have the same problem that you just described and I just reformat the entire computer and put windows back on. Still freezing.

I think the problem I had was, that I installed a bad driver. I normally download the bare minimum, but that 1 fresh install which caused me all the problems happened because I used driver pro and installed like 15-20 different drivers. I just wanted to see the difference but I did not see any.

I would just advise you to download the bare minimum drivers (Graphics, sound) That's basically the only 2 drivers that I installed (aside from my Nexus S) and my computer worked fine. Still working fine to this day.

I also had to stop using Firefox because it gave me blue-screens when I would start it as soon as I woke my computer.
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:34:29 PM

Patrickoby1 said:
I think the problem I had was, that I installed a bad driver. I normally download the bare minimum, but that 1 fresh install which caused me all the problems happened because I used driver pro and installed like 15-20 different drivers. I just wanted to see the difference but I did not see any.

I would just advise you to download the bare minimum drivers (Graphics, sound) That's basically the only 2 drivers that I installed (aside from my Nexus S) and my computer worked fine. Still working fine to this day.

I also had to stop using Firefox because it gave me blue-screens when I would start it as soon as I woke my computer.

Hm, thanks for the answer, I am really hoping this is a software problem.

Thing is, I'm not sure about the audio thing. I did have freezes before but ones where the sound would continue, this would be solved by disabling the audio device that comes with my nVidia GTS 450 card, and then my sound comes from (I guess) the onboard sound card. But I have no drivers installed for the sound card as I can't find any, I've always assumed it's fine because Windows just names it as High Definition Audio Device, which I guess means the onboard card. Maybe there are drivers I have to install, any ideas?
m
l
!