Dimension 2400 thermal event warning inserting usb flash drive

david komarek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello,

My Dell Dimension 2400 sometimes shuts down supposedly due to a thermal event even though there is no indication that there is a heat problem. This doesn't happen consistently but sometimes when I insert a usb flash drive into the front usb port, the computer shuts down. When I power back up it indicates that there was a thermal event but the computer seems to run just fine after that. The fan runs fine and doesn't speed up or race like it's fighting the heat. It seems that just touching the flash drive to the usb port causes it to shut down. Any ideas or similar circumstances? Thanks.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

That's quite an old computer, so it could be that the USB port on the case has been damaged in some way by years of use. I'd suggest you open up the case and check for loose wires near the USB port. Does this only happen with one particular flash drive?

Hi :)

We repair laptops...as said above ...look VERY carefully into the port itself,,,if ANY part is touching the outside of the port it will short out.... either carefully move it away with a NON METALLIC tool (with the battery removed and no power connected) or tape up the port and use another...

All the best Brett :)