First build - Shutdown while installing OS

Hi!

I was working on my first built this past weekend. It boot up just fine, but when I tried to install Windows7 it shutdown while loading the installation about 1-2 mins.

My system is Intel core i5, has Gigabyte z68 motherboard and Apevia 700W. I do not have any fancy video card install yet (planned to add that later) so it shouldn't be the PSU that's causing problem.

I tried to think of what might have went wrong when I was putting things together. I lifted the heatsink fan up after I first put it down for test boot so the thermal paste wasn't spread that well... I guess. I didn't reapply the thermal paste..... Can the uneven paste cause the shut down or it's something bigger?

Thanks you.
2 answers Last reply
More about first build shutdown installing
  1. It might be that your CPU is overheating when installing the OS. And you stated that you lifted the heatsink fan. Remove it again and apply a thermal paste.
  2. Okay, I will buy some thermal paste and try that.... Thanks! I never know the CPU heat up so fast :( Any suggestion on which thermal paste I should get?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Shutdown Systems