Sign in with
Your question

Good laptop for a student.

Last response: in CPUs
a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 7:20:05 AM

Hi guys! Do you guys have any suggestions for a good laptop that is used for student work? Such as writing papers, casual internet surfing? One with a good battery life, i know a pentium cpu would be perfectly fine for me, but I would also like to do some video editing. Possibly around 500-700 dollars.

More about : good laptop student

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 7:43:46 AM

all the students have macs here but I think something nice with an i3 would be good.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:23:37 AM

macs...are complete rip offs and insanely expensive.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:54:25 AM

Good laptop but you could spend a lot less.

You don't really need a laptop with a good GPU or even Quad core. For internet browsing and some multi tasking between applications an i3 should be more than substantial. Battery life is the key thing to look for in my opinion and obviously the screen size of your choice.

$400 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:55:15 AM

However if you look at the price of the laptop, wow its a pretty good deal! Are there any i3 laptops for cheaper that you can post? :) 
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 9:01:53 AM

Nice, but i would also occasionally play games on it. Do you think the intel graphics would suffice for games such as: Killing Floor and Modern Warfare 3? Or would the extra 100 bucks be worth it to get a dedicated gpu and a higher end cpu?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 9:18:06 AM

AdrianPerry said:
Good laptop but you could spend a lot less.

You don't really need a laptop with a good GPU or even Quad core. For internet browsing and some multi tasking between applications an i3 should be more than substantial. Battery life is the key thing to look for in my opinion and obviously the screen size of your choice.

$400 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

amuffin said:
Nice, but i would also occasionally play games on it. Do you think the intel graphics would suffice for games such as: Killing Floor and Modern Warfare 3? Or would the extra 100 bucks be worth it to get a dedicated gpu and a higher end cpu?

Well if your thinking about gaming on it, then certainly go for a laptop with some dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics just don't cut it for modern games.
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2012 9:26:27 AM

And don't forget to budget on insurance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:58:40 PM

if you want decent gaming, the llano laptops are probably the way to go.

but if you can find a cheap laptop with a 540m then its good too.
m
l
January 19, 2012 6:19:09 PM

I'm with esrever. llano is snappy, cheap, and will run moderate games. Got mine as a refurb with a crap load of extra features(crossfire 6670, blu ray, beats audio) for just 500$
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 8:52:40 AM

Is the lenovo laptop I mentioned worth the extra 70-100 dollars than a llano apu laptop? :/  though I don't really like amd, do any of you have benchies for a comparison of an apu you can get for 500 dollars to an i5-2410m?
m
l
!