New System Assembly Sequence

jenniferny

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Hello,
It has been a number of years since I built a computer and I cannot remember the sequence for assemblying the new system. Could someone run through the general sequence for the assembly of a new system for me? Thank You, and I do really appreciate the help. I just do not want to start putting it togetner and have to keep taking it apart because I assembled it in the wrong sequence and parts have to come back off so others can go in.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
1. Fit CPU + Heat Sinc to Motherboard
2. Fit RAM to motherboard
3. Prepair Case (put stand-offs in correct place)
4. put PSU in case if not already (keep cables out of the way)
5. fit Motherboard to case
6. fit Graphics Card to case (if there is one)
7. Fit ROM Drives / HDD's to case
8. Cable all components keeping out of the way of fans and keeping in mind the airflow of ur case
9. Test boot before closing case.

there are many diff ways you can do this and most people have their own way.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry Jennifer, I don't wanna confuse you with more info, but here are some other useful guides on how to build a PC.

How To Assemble A Desktop PC

Hardwareheaven.com

Here is a tutorial with pictures that shows how to put together a cheap PC: Maximumpc.com

This is a good Tom's Hardware article about how to put a PC together.

Do your own research beforehand 'bout the components required depending on your usage and their cost and prepare accordingly.

As with most things, the first time is always the hardest. It gets progressively easier and more enjoyable with every subsequent time ;)

jenniferny

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

Thank You for the response, the sequence was very helpful!

jenniferny

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

Thank You
No confusion caused. It has been 3 years since I originally built the system and I just needed the information to refresh my memory. It took me 4 months of research to choose just the right components because I wanted the best system possible for the money. I so wanted an Extreme processor, but my finances just did not allow anything over the Q6600 Quad Core that I ended up buying. A while back the system died and through troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that it was the motherboard. Since it had been a few years I couldn't remember the sequence that I originally used in the build. The information that you provided went way beyond what I needed, but I enjoyed reading all of it!!! A LOT of very good information and a lot of very enjoyable reading!!
:sol: Thank You for taking the time to put it together and respond to my request for help!! :sol:

jenniferny

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[:grahamlv] Thank You to EVERYONE that took the time to reply to my request for help. I read every one of the responses and they were all very helpful.

When my computer died and I reasoned out that it was the motherboard I decided that now would be the perfect time to upgrade my case, since I had to go to the extent to changing the motherboard. When I ordered the original case, an X-Clio Windtunnel, I thought that I was buying a very good case and one that would also provide superior cooling. Since I was planning on overclocking, cooling was a concern. While the case did do a very good job of cooling, it had some short comings. The biggest was that they mounting for the CD/DVD drives had some serious design flaws, namely that they would never lock securely into place and were constamtly moving every time I put a disc into either one of them. Secondly, while the case did provide very good cooling, the quality of the fans used left a lot to be desired. Within a year the 2 large 23cm fans had both ceased to function, but since the case was still under warranty the company sent me replacements. When the motherboard died I started looking for a new case. I chose the COOLER MASTER HAF 932, RC-932-KKN5-GP. The motherboard has not arrived yet, but I have started to install all of the other components and so far I love the case. They seem to have done their homework when they designed this case because everything is going to gether very easily, and this was never the case with the X-Clio Windtunnel. I can not wait for the ASUS P5Q3 to come so I can use the system again!

Thank You all again for all the help and information that you provided, you made this very painless. I probably could have muddled through without your help, but with it things have gone very smooth so far.

Thank You again!!!! [:grahamlv]