• 35 %
  • Poor
  • 35 %
  • Flow
  • 0 %
  • Disgusting
  • 15 %
January 19, 2012 9:55:23 AM

Well the people at Tom's Hardware managaed to get their hands on the new "top-of-the-line" Bulldozer CPU from AMD, the FX-8150. This is an 8-core CPU at a base clock of 3.6Ghz.

While this sounds good their benchmarks show it is a huge disappointment.
AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Review
It is comparable to the previous phenom II x4 980 in gaming. The Phenom II costs $170 and is based on a chip 3 years old. The FX-8150 costs $245.

In productivity it is usually on par with the i5-2500k, a 1-year old chip which costs $220.

So if you are building a gaming rig, Bulldozer is out of the question as it is comparable with 3-year old chips that cost $80 less. If you are building a workstation for graphical design/programming, the i5-2500k is comparable at a lower price point, and the i7-2600k blows it out of the water for $55 more. And $55 is rather cheap when building a computer for work-related purposes.

And for servers its power consumption is just too high. Rated at 125W, while similar price-point Intel server CPUs (Intel Xeon E3-1230 at $235) consumes only 80W. So overall there is no market where this chip is best-per-dollar.

Why AMD introduce this kind of flop processor??

I think AMD never beat Intel when performance is the main matter.
:bounce:  :bounce: 
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 10:25:31 AM

This is old news, and although they are funny, flame war threads do not bode well for a forums reputation.

This will turn into a flame war.
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 10:44:28 AM

Thread derailment in 3...2...1...

I'll say again, it will do fine in servers. But its the wrong approach for desktops.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 11:23:15 AM

its selling like hotcake either way you take it, just because its the first 8 core desktop cpu, and its not a bad cpu, its just not as good as intel's offerings...

and this is indeed very old news as stated above
January 19, 2012 11:38:54 AM

I don't believe that is that bad, just about average. Being an AMD fan for a long time ( and still a fan) i'm not buying it. All the BD CPUS whether its a 4/6/8 cores are too expensive for now. Like most Intel offerings are too expensive. A CPU for the domestic or SOHO environments above 250€ is, for me at least , past the point of reason. That includes Intel also.

Maybe Piledriver will change things, maybe it doesn't we just have to wait and see.
January 19, 2012 11:42:13 AM

xaira said:
and its not a bad cpu, its just not as good as intel's offerings...

How can it be "bot a bad cpu" when it is more expensive and slower than Phenom II X6? How?
January 19, 2012 11:54:04 AM

Server wise, is interesting.

Domestic and SOHO isn't. Like many Intel offerings. It is just an average product. For now.
a c 102 à CPUs
January 19, 2012 12:07:13 PM

xaira said:
its selling like hotcake either way you take it, just because its the first 8 core desktop cpu, and its not a bad cpu, its just not as good as intel's offerings...

and this is indeed very old news as stated above

I voted "average." The FX-8150 overall is roughly as fast as the previous flagship, the Phenom II X6 1100T. It is a little slower in Windows games on Windows 7 at the moment, a little faster in many heavily-multithreaded tasks, and a little slower on FPU-heavy tasks, and faster on many Linux programs than the 1100T. Bulldozer was an ambitious design that naturally has some teething issues. The second revision will be much better, just look at Barcelona -> Deneb/Shanghai.

Also, the FX-8150 isn't the first 8-core processor to be used on the desktop. A surprising number of people have been using Supermicro's ATX-sized single-socket H8SGL motherboard with 8- and 12-core Opteron 6100s since mid-2010 as a general-use desktop. My guess is it was mostly for bragging rights as having 8 or 12 cores and quad-channel memory was a real bragging point, plus you could put together an H8SGL + Opteron 6128 (8x 2.0 GHz) setup for about $550 for board + CPU so it was quite affordable. Granted the H8SGL/Opteron 6100 combination isn't sold as a desktop product, but it fits in normal ATX cases, uses normal ATX PSUs, can fit normal GPUs and other normal desktop expansion cards, can run the Home versions of Windows rather than needing Business/Ultimate/Server, and can use standard unbuffered desktop DDR3 RAM.
January 19, 2012 12:23:57 PM

Still happy with my Phenom II x4 965 BE I bought last year, runs everything I need and chews through games along with 2 crossfired 6870's. As some have stated it'll perform very well in high demand multi core environments such as a server setup or a high end workstation.
January 19, 2012 1:27:40 PM

Troollll thread detected again........beep beep beep!!!!......
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 1:32:16 PM

So, how about the weather?
!