Sign in with
Your question

Apple or Pre Build?

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2011 8:58:54 AM

Hi Guys,

Im planning on buying a new system on Friday and I cant decide whether to get a Apple or not and would very much appreciate peoples advice and comments to help me reach my decision I have listed the full specification of each system below.

I know Apple’s certainly look nice and the guy in the local store told me they run much faster and smoother than other systems ? (im not sure on this)

The system will be used for the below tasks and nothing more – its probably worth noting that any games will only be RTS and MMORPG’s as I have a xbox which I prefer to play titles such as call of duty and first person shooter / action games.

The system will be used for the following:

Gaming (WoW Cata / Dawn of War 2 Series / Starcraft 2) I want to play these games on the maximum graphics setting on a 24” monitor (minimum) – I may also try the new Star Wars MMORPG when its released

Watching movies using a form of connection on my 50” plasma TV
Downloading Movies & Music (I do a lot of this)
Burning DVD’s & CD’s (a lot)
Web Browsing
iTunes
Microsoft Office Pro 2010
Social Networking

Here are the specs for each system:

Pre Build System:

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case or Xigmatek Asgard
Processor:
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz
CPU Cooler:
Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
Additional Cooling:
2 x Blue LED Case Fans
Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste
Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
Memory:
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
Graphics Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2048MB Graphics Card (ASUS Direct CU II or Palit Factory Overclocked)
1st Hard Drive:
40GB Corsair Force Solid State Drive
2nd Hard Drive:
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
SSD Caching Configuration - Choose one Hard drive and one SSD
1st Optical Drive:
Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
2nd Optical Drive:
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive
Power Supply:
Corsair TX 750W PSU
Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Primary Monitor:
24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor
Keyboard and Mouse:
Generic Wired Keyboard and Mouse

Apple System:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 processor
- 3.4 GHz
- 8 MB Smart Cache
- Quad Core
Operating System Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
RAM - 4 GB installed DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz)
- 16 GB maximum RAM capacity
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
Screen type Widescreen LCD
Screen resolution - 2560 x 1440 pixels
Screen size 27"
Screen features - IPS technology
- LED-backlit glossy
- 16:9 aspect ratio
Hard drive 1 TB SATA 7200 rpm
Optical disk drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Memory card reader SDXC card slot
USB 4 x USB 2.0 ports
FireWire 1 x FireWire 800 port
Modem/Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
WiFi Built-in 802.11n wireless networking
IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Video interface Two Thunderbolt ports, each of which can act as a Mini DisplayPort
Mini DisplayPort output supports DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video (requires adapters, sold separately)
Audio interface Optical digital audio output
Headphone out
Optical digital audio input
Audio line in
TV output No
Expansion card slot No
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers
Built-in microphone
Webcam Built-in FaceTime HD camera
Keyboard & Mouse Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse
Accessories included Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Mouse, power lead, install/restore DVDs, printed and electronic documentation
Software included Includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools and more.
Includes iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb)
Size 650 x 517 x 207 mm (W x H x D)
Weight 13.8 kg

Please could you give me your views comments and opinions to help me to decide?

Thank You

More about : apple pre build

October 19, 2011 9:29:33 AM

Apple for a gaming computer.... NO!

I have had friends try this no matter how many times I've told them its not good. I have not seen or heard of a Apple computer doing anywhere near as good.

I wish I had more tangible proof but all I can say is from experience dont do it!

Go with that prebuild setup it is pretty nice, who are you buying it from?
October 19, 2011 10:00:18 AM

Hi thanks for the reply,

Ill stick with teh pre build then its coming from a company called CHILLBLAST they are voted very well in PC PRO & PC ADVISOR

However I think ill go with the core i7 OC to 4.5ghz
Related resources
October 19, 2011 10:03:49 AM

I would stick with the i5, what website are you looking at?
October 19, 2011 10:25:03 AM

Here is the website:

http://www.chillblast.com/home.php

Here is the product im planning to order with this configuration (I get an extra discount of £70 Inc VAT for dropping down to the core i5 to the core i7 overclocked to 4.5ghz)

http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=17907

they have come in first in 4 places in PC Advisor one at <£500 one at <£750 one at <£1000 and again at top desktop priced at £1299

I have read independant customer reviews which are very good and my own experience of dealing with the sales team so far has been exceptional and they have been extremely helpfull and fast in answering my questions.
October 19, 2011 10:29:44 AM

The apple's out of question obviously if you're thinking of gaming.

What's the price of the pre-built?

I've a feeling you can get a much stronger system for at most the same price if not cheaper if you can get some friend or neighbor to assemble for you for you for a few beers and a pizza.
October 19, 2011 10:31:59 AM

its a very good system I wouldnt change anything about it
October 19, 2011 10:33:36 AM

calguyhunk said:
The apple's out of question obviously if you're thinking of gaming.

What's the price of the pre-built?

I've a feeling you can get a much stronger system for at most the same price if not cheaper if you can get some friend or neighbor to assemble for you for you for a few beers and a pizza.

Lol that is so true, I wanted to compare but I dont know their conversion rate
October 19, 2011 10:34:32 AM

Hi thanks for your reply

The price of the pre build with core i5 @ 4.5ghz is £1111 this includes shipping and VAT

Price with core i7 @ 4.5ghz is 1181 inc shipping & VAT

I dont knwo anyone that would build one for me and im not able to or confident to at the moment :( 
October 19, 2011 10:36:12 AM

Now that I've seen your post, You can easily get a 2600K system with faster RAM, GPU and better PSU. The 600 Watt Corsair is probably the builder series which barely has 40 odd amps on it's +12V Rail, which means it's gonna struggle with temps and efficiency at full load especially in an OC'ed system - and with that chip it'll be a crying shame not to OC :) 
October 19, 2011 10:37:36 AM

I know it sucks not knowing how to build your own I was like that a couple years back its really fun and actually easy to do
October 19, 2011 10:39:59 AM

ajh1979 said:
I dont knwo anyone that would build one for me and im not able to or confident to at the moment :( 
I'm not from the UK, but tell them that if they can match online prices, you'll buy the parts from them. Obviously, they'll agree. For a bit extra, they'll probably do the assembly+installation for you. You'll still get a stonking system - everything you need and nothing you don't.
October 19, 2011 10:42:49 AM

The only other thing I could do is take the list to a independant pc store and see how much they would do the build for but then I could be worse off as at least ive read independant customer reviews on Chillblast and they came out great on PC Advisor

Dont suppose you know any good independant pc shops that would build in Leicestershire UK do you? :??: 
October 19, 2011 10:43:42 AM

Thats a negative
!