Sign in with
Your question

Lights Blink when power button is pressed but won't start

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2012 12:15:29 PM

Hello , I'm having a BIG problem with my computer , When i press the power button the lights blink once on my removable bay hard drives and it won't start , at all...

I'v recorded a Video just to show you guys exactly what it's doing , It's my fathers computer , i turned it off one day and it wouldn't turn back on so i got scared lol, the power supply when it was turned on used to make a hissing sound.... heres the link please watch and share with me any info you have! thank you so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-LjX1McPo
January 19, 2012 12:55:07 PM

Looks/sounds like a powersupply issue. Replace the power supply, if it still fails to power on its the motherboard.
January 19, 2012 10:05:49 PM

joedastudd said:
Looks/sounds like a powersupply issue. Replace the power supply, if it still fails to power on its the motherboard.

i was playing around and i decided to spam the power button, then the lights flickerd faster and faster, then in started! then it cut off and restarted its self, i smelt abit of smoke so i switched it off, i tried to fire it back up but now the lights flicker very fast!..... could it be the switch or the power pack , it aint the motherboard as it all started right ?
Related resources
January 19, 2012 10:22:13 PM

I would advise against do anything like that. If the PSU has gone bad, it is very possible it might damage other parts of your system. What are your system specifications by the way?
January 20, 2012 7:43:48 AM

By spamming the power button you just caused either powersupply to bypass a self check or the motherboard doing a power good check. Allowing the powersupply to pass a dirty current to the system.
Either way you'll be lucky to get the system working without spending a nice wad of cash.

As for the motherboard most likely it would have been fine, however since you spammed the power button I wouldn't like to say.
!