Power issues with new memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelotes202

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Just upgraded from 4GB to 16GB of RAM on my wife's computer (used mainly for photo/video editing). Got the new 4 x 4GB DIMMS in (made sure was same speed, etc. as current), after taking original 2 x 2GB DIMMs out. Got power back on, the mobo light comes on and when I push power the CPU and case fans start up for about 1 second before turning off, then about 5 seconds later the whole system comes online but is not 100% stable (seems to lose power and reboot itself once she opens Photoshop or any other program).

I have tried adjusting the voltage on the BIOS to 1.64V (this mem recommends 1.65V), no effect.

Have tried using just 2 DIMMS instead of 4, no change.

Tried using 1 DIMM, no change

Put OLD memory back in, and same problem now (wasn't there before). Put only 1 DIMM of old memory in, and still have same problem.

MoBo is ASUS P7P55D-E LX.

The PSU is a Corsair 700W PSU that we got just a year ago and worked fine until this. Unless it decided to fail right when I got new memory, hard to say for sure that it's the issue, and since changing PSU is a really involved process I want to rule out other possibilities before trying that.

Thanks in advance!

Zelotes202

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Update: Starting to think that it may be something with the power supply since have tried all kinds of RAM including the original sticks.

The PSU "works" in that it will boot the machine after the brief 1 second burst I mentioned above, and I let it sit with the OS (Windows 7 64-bit) running for over 3 hours and it was fine, but as soon as open a program like Photoshop it reboots. I don't see a BSOD or anything either so not sure what's going on there.

Any ideas?

Zelotes202

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
FYI

Update: Tried using the motherboard's MemOK! on-board switch which (as I learned from the manual today), if you hold it down until the light comes on after booting up the computer, the motherboard will run a quick sequence of tests to determine proper compatibility settings. Did it first with the old 2 x 2GB sticks and had success (both in stability while running and having that weird false-start stop happening), now have new 4 x 4GB sticks in there and so far it is running multiple programs and going strong.

So, solved. I should have read the manual more clearly. Who'd have thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.