Sign in with
Your question

2500k vs. 2600k? Budget around $1500.

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2011 1:12:48 PM

This is my first time building a desktop

Approximate Purchase Date: Before mid January

Budget Range: $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, design and video editing (for fun).

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Speakers, keyboard

Country of Origin: Shanghai, China
Price is probably cheaper than America

Monitor: Samsung 27" LED S27A350H- $300
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Case: Need Advice. I want simple design, excellent cooling. BUDGET- $120
Fan- Need Advice

Graphics Card: Asus Radeon HD6950 1GB- $275 / Asus GTX560 Ti 1G DDR5- $265 / Asus Radeon HD6950 2G- $350 (is it too much?)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K-$250 or i7 2600k-$340? (I'm leaning toward i5-2500k, is it going to be a huge difference?)

Mother Board: P8Z68-V Pro- $250

PSU: CoolerMaster 650W- $62 (Is it enough?)

CPU cooling: Do I need one?

HDD: WD1002FAEX 64M 1TB SATA3- $85

RAM: Kingston DDR3 1600 4G x3- $95

CD/DVD ROM: Blue Ray Reader- $47

SLI: Need Advice

Would I need Thermal Paste? Is my build good enough to overclock? What is SLI and SDD, do I need them?

Im sorry about all these loaded questions, I sincerely appreciate all your time.

Eric
October 19, 2011 1:22:15 PM

New tech's coming up early next next year. So if early Jan's what you're looking at, might as well hold on a bit longer and check out the reviews before pulling the trigger.
October 19, 2011 1:23:10 PM

Case - Any mid/full tower case in your price range should be more than acceptable. Just go for something you like the look of and have a quick Google for some reviews if your unsure. FRACTAL are a great manufacturer for "simple design" cases, and they are very high quality with good cooling.

CPU - Stick with the i5-2500k, it will allow you to spend the money saved from i7-2600k to be spent elsewhere on other important components.

PSU - CoolerMaster are generally avoided. 500w is enough for a single 6950, or grab a 750w unit if you plan to add a second card in crossfire. Recommended PSU brands include: XFX, Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic.

HDD - You could save a little money here and grab either a 1TB SpinPoint F3 or a SeaGate Barracuda.

CPU Cooler - It's not "necessary" to buy an after-market cooling, but if your planning to over-clock its highly recommended.

RAM: G.Skill or Corsair are popular choices, stick with 1600MHz, 1.5v, CL9. Its generally considered the best value for money.

Thermal Paste - It usually comes pre-applied with stock coolers and some after-market coolers, so you wont need to buy this separately (in most cases).

Overclocking - You build doesn't need to be "good enough" to over-clock, it all comes down to the CPU and the i5-2500k has HUGE over-clock potential so id HIGHLY recommend looking into it.

SLI - This is the Nvidia equivalent of ATI's "crossfire" (which basically means running 2 Graphics cards or more, within a single system).

SSD - This means "Solid State Drive" - its like a HDD but obviously much quicker and more expensive (price per GB).

Motherboard - GEN3 motherboard would be recommended (ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 or similar). Same features and similar price to the ASUS board you've listed, but with the advantage of being PCI 3.0 ready.

-----------

As posted above by calguyhunk - if your not looking to purchase until January - It's likely ATI will be onto the 7xxx series of GPU's amongst other tech updates. This build suggestions you get now, probably wont apply in 3 months time.

Related resources
October 19, 2011 1:25:15 PM

I reccomend the Fractal Design Arc Midi case for a clean design with good cooling.

You should either get 2 or 4 sticks of RAM for that cpu/motherboard.. 2 4GB sticks should be fine.

If you want to do some overclocking you should get a better cooler than the stock heatsink.. The Hyper 212+ or EVO are good budget cooling options
October 19, 2011 1:41:40 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Case - Any mid/full tower case in your price range should be more than acceptable. Just go for something you like the look of and have a quick Google for some reviews if your unsure. FRACTAL are a great manufacturer for "simple design" cases, and they are very high quality with good cooling.

CPU - Stick with the i5-2500k, it will allow you to spend the money saved from i7-2600k to be spent elsewhere on other important components.

PSU - CoolerMaster are generally avoided. 500w is enough for a single 6950, or grab a 750w unit if you plan to add a second card in crossfire. Recommended PSU brands include: XFX, Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic.

HDD - You could save a little money here and grab either a 1TB SpinPoint F3 or a SeaGate Barracuda.

CPU Cooler - It's not "necessary" to buy an after-market cooling, but if your planning to over-clock its highly recommended.

RAM: G.Skill or Corsair are popular choices, stick with 1600MHz, 1.5v, CL9. Its generally considered the best value for money.

Thermal Paste - It usually comes pre-applied with stock coolers and some after-market coolers, so you wont need to buy this separately (in most cases).

Overclocking - You build doesn't need to be "good enough" to over-clock, it all comes down to the CPU and the i5-2500k has HUGE over-clock potential so id HIGHLY recommend looking into it.

SLI - This is the Nvidia equivalent of ATI's "crossfire" (which basically means running 2 Graphics cards or more, within a single system).

SSD - This means "Solid State Drive" - its like a HDD but obviously much quicker and more expensive (price per GB).

Motherboard - GEN3 motherboard would be recommended (ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 or similar). Same features and similar price to the ASUS board you've listed, but with the advantage of being PCI 3.0 ready.

-----------

As posted above by calguyhunk - if your not looking to purchase until January - It's likely ATI will be onto the 7xxx series of GPU's amongst other tech updates. This build suggestions you get now, probably wont apply in 3 months time.

-------------

Thanks guys! last few questions. Would Radeon 6950 2GB be worth getting, or is 1gb enough? Which one of those PCI 3.0 motherboards would you recommend (bang for buck)?

So it means by January 2012 prices will drop? If so, I think I will hold off until January until the new stuff comes out. Do you guys know approximately when most of these products come out? I will be in Taiwan during January, I'm thinking it will be even cheaper there.

Much appreciated,

Eric
October 19, 2011 1:45:39 PM

The extra GPU memory in a high-end cards helps mainly in multi-monitor set-ups.

For a single monitor, the 1GB version will generally work plenty alright.
!