Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading processor to i7-3930K Motherboard advice

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2012 9:35:08 PM

So I mistakenly bought a P8Z77-V LX with the impression that I could run SLI, I am for sure getting a second GTX 680, and since I've already blown about a 1/10th of my yearly income on my current machine :pfff:  , I might aswell go with the most future proof hardware I can. I've decided to go with a i7-3930K as my processor so I don't have to worry about upgrading for a while. I would say my max budget would be in the $270 - $300 range for a motherboard. So any suggestions would be helpful, I would especially like to hear from someone who is currently using this processor. On a side note I'm planning on using the same memory I have in my current system 4x4gb 1600 mhz in dual channel mode, so for overclocking would I benefit from buying higher clocked ram, and running them in 4 channel mode, say 4x2gb @ 1866mhz. I will probably OC to about 4.6ghz and have my cards running at a slight overclock since I am running on a 750 Watt PSU.
November 18, 2012 10:25:22 PM

What are you using your machine for? Unless your doing a lot of video rendering, encoding etc, your CPU would be absolutely overkill. Since you're talking GTX 680's I'm guessing it will mainly be a gaming machine. If that's that case you'd be better off getting a high end motherboard (I'd say better GPU, but unless you want to get a GTX 690 or 7990 you really can't get better.)

As for RAM, the general consensus as of now (least from what I've read) is that more RAM is > Faster RAM.
m
l
November 19, 2012 12:51:51 AM

brokenbladez said:
What are you using your machine for? Unless your doing a lot of video rendering, encoding etc, your CPU would be absolutely overkill. Since you're talking GTX 680's I'm guessing it will mainly be a gaming machine. If that's that case you'd be better off getting a high end motherboard (I'd say better GPU, but unless you want to get a GTX 690 or 7990 you really can't get better.)

As for RAM, the general consensus as of now (least from what I've read) is that more RAM is > Faster RAM.

Yeah it's a bit overkill for now but I'm thinking 5-7 years down the line with minimal upgrades. Here are the main reason's I can justify it 1. I'm a in the middle of a computer science degree, so I'm on the the thing at least 5 - 6 hours a day, sometimes 18 - 24 if an all nighter is required, so speed and stability make a huge difference to me even if it's a nominal increase. 2. I'm going to move to a 3 monitor setup when my budget allows at some point next year so maxing out games @1200x5760 res @60 Hz would be optimal, physx, direct x 11 features, etc, etc. Plus I got a pretty affordable living situation right now with everything < 650 per month, and I live in an area where I drive maybe half a mile to get anywhere I need to go, so to me it's worth it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 V Motherboard
November 19, 2012 1:07:34 AM

A good board for i7-3930K is not really in your budget as far as i know
m
l

Best solution

a c 87 V Motherboard
November 19, 2012 1:11:39 AM
November 26, 2012 7:37:46 AM

Best answer selected by hdeezie80.
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 7:42:27 AM

Wow nice deal! :D  No problem.Your welcome!
m
l
!