Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5.1 Sound Cards

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2012 4:38:09 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers and am looking for a mid cost sound card that will make them rock. Right now I'm using the on board sound from my P67 Intel Sabortooth Board.

More about : sound cards

Best solution

January 19, 2012 4:55:04 PM

For under $100, the undisputed kind of the hill is the ASUS Xonar DX. After that, there are a few competitiors in the $130 price range [ASUS Xonar D2/D2X, Auzentech Meridian 2G, Creative Titanium, HT Omega Halo+]. Moving up to the top tier (for analog surround anyways), you have the Auzentech Home Theatre HD, ASUS Xonar Xense, and HT Omega Claro/XT.

For the X-530's, anything more expensive then the DX is probably a bit overkill.
Related resources
January 19, 2012 9:46:58 PM

Davcon, can you actually hear the difference? I've been looking for someone to do a blind test, but I haven't found one yet willing to go through with it. Here's what I propose: get someone else to switch between onboard and discrete sound without telling you which one's working. If you can fairly reliably call which one's on, and still think that the discrete sounds better, I'll stop shooting down every sound card post I see.
Until then, artzilla, I still say that it's a waste of money.

The P67's integrated sound (ALC892) does support 5.1.
Score
January 20, 2012 8:27:42 AM

Well I decided to go with the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, got it for $ 70 on sale at Best Buy right now. So I'll know if theres a difference in a day or two.
Score
January 20, 2012 11:28:22 AM

kajabla, I can clearly hear a difference between by old D2 and my Xense + PC350, let alone between onboard and my Xense. Its not even close.

Heck, when I first got my Xense + 350, they actually sounded worse then my Logitech G35 I was using at the time. After about 50 hours for the headphones to burn in properly, the difference was clear as day. [And yes, headphone burn in exists, and varies quite a bit by model].
Score
January 20, 2012 7:34:04 PM

kajabla said:
Davcon, can you actually hear the difference? I've been looking for someone to do a blind test, but I haven't found one yet willing to go through with it. Here's what I propose: get someone else to switch between onboard and discrete sound without telling you which one's working. If you can fairly reliably call which one's on, and still think that the discrete sounds better, I'll stop shooting down every sound card post I see.
Until then, artzilla, I still say that it's a waste of money.

The P67's integrated sound (ALC892) does support 5.1.

Yeah i can clearly hear the difference.
All comparisons have been done with another person present for their perspective.
I was into real HI-FI(over 35yrs) as a hobby long before personal computers were around.
Score
January 20, 2012 11:48:03 PM

I still want a blind test. No offense, but placebos can be powerful.
Score
January 28, 2012 8:40:54 AM

Best answer selected by Artzilla65.
Score
January 28, 2012 9:11:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!