Sign in with
Your question

AMD GPUs run better on AMD CPUs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 3:05:55 AM

A friend of mine recently told me that he picked AMD HD6870 over Nvidia's offering because AMD GPUs run better on AMD CPUs.

At first I denied the claim however he does have a lot of experience building computers so I did not totally dismiss it. (He is also not a fan boy and has purchased in the past from all 4 big players AMD/ATI, Nvidia, & Intel.)

Then I began to think about it...

A recent AMD driver did offer YouTube Image Stabalization when an AMD HD6000 series card is paired up with an AMD Phenom II CPU.

Also I saw a video on YouTube where a player said he was getting 75 Fraps in Bad Company 2 with a HD6870 and an AMD Phenom II 965x4 processor at stock speeds (1920x1080 res everything maxed). To me I thought 75 FRAPS was very high (too high) for that set up as I have yet to see benchmarks online that high even with a Core I-7 processor. However several driver updates have been released since the benchmarks I have seen so maybe his claim is true.

Is there any truth to AMD GPUs run better on AMD CPUs?

I want to say "No" but I would like to hear what the Forum has to say.

More about : amd gpus run amd cpus

a c 539 U Graphics card
a c 131 À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 3:43:47 AM

Given that Intel CPU's are architecturally faster than AMD CPU's, I would say it would be very unlikely that the same video card in an AMD system would be faster than in a comparable Intel system. Stranger things have happened though.

a c 179 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 162 à CPUs
August 20, 2011 3:51:08 AM

Its a lie, but its a lie AMD would like to keep alive to boost sales.

Intel processors tend to be stronger than AMD processors, your CPU limit is much higher on an i7 2500K than a Phenom II 980 or 1100T so the 2500K will do a bit better but most of the performance restriction in gaming is just the GPU not the CPU, CPU differences are usually only a few FPS at most.

As for that 75 FPS video, did they show exactly what settings they were running it at? "Everything maxed" is usually a lie as nothing can run with everything maxed, im betting he didnt have any AA on or that 6870 would have slowed wayyy down.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 3:52:35 AM

you were right....the answer is 'no'...

However...

Nvidia GPUs (twin or triple 580's for instance) seem to scale even better with higher horsepower/clockspeed CPUs, with AMD GPUs scaling less so with higher CPU clockspeed, which might be a possible source for the rumor..; but, the better GPU will be better regardless of which system it is in....

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 4:27:11 AM

Per his comments:

Quote:
Averages: 75 while playing without fraps, 50 (set to 60 on fraps settings) with fraps, and 30 on the video because i made it 720p.

The reason for this thread really because I love Bad Company 2 and I am debating between getting a HD 6870 (value pick) or an GTX560ti (more secure pick). I want to be able to consistently run the game at 60 fraps for better.

If there was any supporting evidence that a HD6870 combined with an AMD processor would produce tangible benefits I would probably go with the HD6870 to save money and take advantage of the game bundles out there.

I am really torn between the two. I love AMD's image quality and power efficient / cool running HD6870 chips but Nvidia really did an awesome job on DX11. Their tessellation benchmarks are amazing.
August 20, 2011 5:08:07 AM

rwayne said:
Per his comments:

Quote:
Averages: 75 while playing without fraps, 50 (set to 60 on fraps settings) with fraps, and 30 on the video because i made it 720p.

The reason for this thread really because I love Bad Company 2 and I am debating between getting a HD 6870 (value pick) or an GTX560ti (more secure pick). I want to be able to consistently run the game at 60 fraps for better.

If there was any supporting evidence that a HD6870 combined with an AMD processor would produce tangible benefits I would probably go with the HD6870 to save money and take advantage of the game bundles out there.

I am really torn between the two. I love AMD's image quality and power efficient / cool running HD6870 chips but Nvidia really did an awesome job on DX11. Their tessellation benchmarks are amazing.

I agree that Nvidia's tesselation benchmarks are very impressive.

I've never heard anything to suggest that and AMD card would run better on an AMD cpu, but of course anything is possible. It's one of those things that's hard to compare; there's so many factors. Unless there's significant evidence I would be highly sceptical of any such claims though.

As for your decision between a 560 ti and a 6870, both should give you good performance on BF:BC2 at your resolution. I would personally go with the 6870 just because the 560 TI is only a hair better for a good $50 more, but then again I'm kind of an AMD/ATI guy. :p 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/10
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 5:19:56 AM

@ harakou Actually....All things being equal I am an AMD guy too.

I like AMD for several reasons.
XFX makes them even more likable with their dual fan HD6870.

However Nvidia is bringing a lot to the table and they are very hard to ignore. Especially with an awesome vendor like EVGA. Nothing against XFX. They are great. But EVGA is impressive. I am having a super hard time deciding. I keep switching my opinion daily.

Those benchmarks are encouraging however they were achieved with a Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz. I wish there were more benchmarks showing something more mainstream like what I got.

BTW I am going to be running at 1680 x 1050.

Thank you for your post.
August 20, 2011 5:38:46 AM

Yeah, it would be nice to see results with other processors. But of course, that wouldn't be as good of a gauge of the GPU.

Anyway, at 1680 x 1050 both those cards managed over 100 fps, in case you didn't already see. I can't see your CPU making enough of a difference to bring it down to less than 60 fps. (Assuming your monitor is 60Hz)

That's a tough decision though. Those two cards really are down to the wire.
a c 539 U Graphics card
a c 131 À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 7:03:19 AM

All you have to ask is whether you like to overclock or not. The benchmark listed above is for the stock clocked cards. If you begin to overclock, or buy a factory overclocked model, the GTX 560 Ti will pull away to an even larger lead. The 6870 is known for having little headroom for overclocking. The GTX 560 Ti, on the other hand, is known as an overclocking beast, capable of performing up to the level of a much more expensive card.
August 28, 2013 1:24:34 PM

Of course because they are same brand,if your AMD cpu has and intergrated GPU you can link them and get doubled the Performance in graphics!
a c 539 U Graphics card
a c 131 À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2013 2:07:20 PM

Lefteris Fousteris said:
Of course because they are same brand,if your AMD cpu has and intergrated GPU you can link them and get doubled the Performance in graphics!

You realize that you responded to a two year old thread?

And then, it's clear you need to read up on the latest review from Tom's Hardware:

"AMD Dual Graphics Analysis: Better Benchmarks; Same Experience?"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-cross...

Quote:
"With that said, the latest driver doesn't help Dual Graphics. And the problems with this technology are more severe than we imagined even before this story was conceptualized. We're hoping the company gets serious about fixing Dual Graphics, just as it did when it committed to improving CrossFire with two discrete GPUs. Right now it's evangelizing a feature that helps improve benchmark results, but not actual gameplay. That's just not right."
August 30, 2013 2:31:14 AM

17seconds said:
Lefteris Fousteris said:

You realize that you responded to a two year old thread?

And then, it's clear you need to read up on the latest review from Tom's Hardware:

"AMD Dual Graphics Analysis: Better Benchmarks; Same Experience?"

Quote:
"With that said, the latest driver doesn't help Dual Graphics. And the problems with this technology are more severe than we imagined even before this story was conceptualized. We're hoping the company gets serious about fixing Dual Graphics, just as it did when it committed to improving CrossFire with two discrete GPUs. Right now it's evangelizing a feature that helps improve benchmark results, but not actual gameplay. That's just not right."

Yeah but I just wanted to send something...
!