PS2 Controller Backward Compatible With PSX?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Hi,

I've been google and deja'ing, but haven't seem to come across a clear
answer regarding the backward compatibility of PS2 controllers to PSX (PS1).

If a PS2 controller is going into a PSX device, is it completetly backwards
compatible to the PSX specs? I realize that the PS2 controller's "analog
pressure sensitity" capability for the buttons wouldn't be implimented, but
is everything else (electronically and voltage wise) compatible?

What I am wanting to specifically do is use a PS2 controller with a
Dreamcast. I currently have a PS2-DC controller adapter to do such ("Total
Control 2"), however this specific adapter lacks a VMU (DC memory card) bay.
For convienence (not having to have a second DC controller plugged into the
DC's second controller port), I would like to use a PS2-DC controller
adapter that includes a built-in VMU slot. The only animal I have come
across is the "Total Control Plus", however it's specs state that it is a
PSX-DC adapter.

The specific PS2 controller I am wanting to use is an extra PS2 Pelican
Shockwave (wireless) controller that I have laying around. It works fine
with the PS2-DC controller I currently have, but having to have an
additional DC controller plugged into the DC in order to use a VMU is
annoying. Plus, many games require that the VMU be in the first joystick
slot. Assuming that a PS2 controller would work fine with a PSX device
(PS1 or adapter), I would like to pick up this "Total Control Plus". Since
I plan to plug a wireless PS2 tranceiver into this PSX-DC adapter, I just
want to make sure that the PSX-DC adapter would just see it as a PSX
controller. (Whether a wireless tranceiver or a wired controller, it
shouldn't make any difference. I.e., the PS2-DC adapter I have now sees the
PS2 tranceiver the same as it would for a PS2 wired controller.)

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about controller backward compatible
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Eras <none@nospam.none.not> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I've been google and deja'ing, but haven't seem to come across a clear
    > answer regarding the backward compatibility of PS2 controllers to PSX (PS1).

    I'm not really sure, but it would probably work. The only thing I would
    worry about is if you'd have to press the buttons really hard to get the
    DC (or PS1) to recognize that a button's been pushed.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Eras <none@nospam.none.not> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    >
    > > I've been google and deja'ing, but haven't seem to come across a clear
    > > answer regarding the backward compatibility of PS2 controllers to PSX (PS1).
    >
    > I'm not really sure, but it would probably work. The only thing I would
    > worry about is if you'd have to press the buttons really hard to get the
    > DC (or PS1) to recognize that a button's been pushed.

    Yeah, that's true...

    Also, if you've got a GameStop anywhere around your house, they usually sell
    original PS1 controllers(used) for $5 or so(if the PS2 controller thing doesn't
    work out).

    Bel
    --
    Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

    "Do not eat iPod shuffle."
    - Apple Computers
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    BelPowerslave wrote:
    snip

    > Also, if you've got a GameStop anywhere around your house, they usually sell
    > original PS1 controllers(used) for $5 or so(if the PS2 controller thing doesn't
    > work out).

    Except that he wants to use that specific wireless controller...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Ted wrote:

    > BelPowerslave wrote:
    > snip
    > >
    > > Also, if you've got a GameStop anywhere around your house, they usually sell
    > > original PS1 controllers(used) for $5 or so(if the PS2 controller thing doesn't
    > > work out).
    >
    > Except that he wants to use that specific wireless controller...

    Argh....didn't even notice that. My bad.

    Well, PSX extension cords are only about $3...if he changes his mind...

    Bel

    --
    Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

    "Do not eat iPod shuffle."
    - Apple Computers
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The answer is not a simple yes or no. Because of the difference in
    electronics, however minor, compounded by the fact this is a third party
    controller which might deviate from the PS2 controller specs, on top of the
    fact that each game may recognize your setup differently, you will never get
    a yes or no. You are going to have to try it on a case by case basis. (Most
    likely it is going to work for some by not all games.) I would suggest
    keeping track of what works and what doesn't. Then publish a list, so the
    next person to ask will know. Even if PS2 controllers in general are not
    backward compatible, you may still get some functionality out of your setup
    in certain games. (This is pure speculation.) Like someone else said, if the
    setup doesn't work you can always purchase a $5 used PS1 controller, so it
    won't be a complete wash.

    "Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been google and deja'ing, but haven't seem to come across a clear
    > answer regarding the backward compatibility of PS2 controllers to PSX
    > (PS1).
    >
    > If a PS2 controller is going into a PSX device, is it completetly
    > backwards
    > compatible to the PSX specs? I realize that the PS2 controller's "analog
    > pressure sensitity" capability for the buttons wouldn't be implimented,
    > but
    > is everything else (electronically and voltage wise) compatible?
    >
    > What I am wanting to specifically do is use a PS2 controller with a
    > Dreamcast. I currently have a PS2-DC controller adapter to do such
    > ("Total
    > Control 2"), however this specific adapter lacks a VMU (DC memory card)
    > bay.
    > For convienence (not having to have a second DC controller plugged into
    > the
    > DC's second controller port), I would like to use a PS2-DC controller
    > adapter that includes a built-in VMU slot. The only animal I have come
    > across is the "Total Control Plus", however it's specs state that it is a
    > PSX-DC adapter.
    >
    > The specific PS2 controller I am wanting to use is an extra PS2 Pelican
    > Shockwave (wireless) controller that I have laying around. It works fine
    > with the PS2-DC controller I currently have, but having to have an
    > additional DC controller plugged into the DC in order to use a VMU is
    > annoying. Plus, many games require that the VMU be in the first joystick
    > slot. Assuming that a PS2 controller would work fine with a PSX device
    > (PS1 or adapter), I would like to pick up this "Total Control Plus".
    > Since
    > I plan to plug a wireless PS2 tranceiver into this PSX-DC adapter, I just
    > want to make sure that the PSX-DC adapter would just see it as a PSX
    > controller. (Whether a wireless tranceiver or a wired controller, it
    > shouldn't make any difference. I.e., the PS2-DC adapter I have now sees
    > the
    > PS2 tranceiver the same as it would for a PS2 wired controller.)
    >
    > Thanks!

Console Gaming PlayStation Controller Compatibility Video Games