Pc turns on but nothing happens.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
hello. so ive decided to build a new gaming rig. after getting all the parts in the mail yesterday and putting it all together i turned it on and everything appeared to be working fine. but my monitor never turned on, so i turned it on manually.nothing still. so i tried using my old gpu which i know works. still nothing. so i went in and checked all of the cables and made sure everything was getting power, that still did nothing. i have the i5 2500k cpu, ASRock p67 extreme4 gen3, asus gtx 570 with dcuii, 8 gigs drr3 1600 ram, and a 750 antec 80plus silver cpu.
really need help. i would really like to get this working today. thank you for any help!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
If your old GPU isn't working either, it sounds like the problem possibly lies with your monitor. Either that or a damaged PCI lane on your motherboard. Might be worth trying one of the other x16 lanes just to confirm this.

Also as GeekApproved said, check you've got all the power cables plugged in. GPU should have x2 6-pin, Motherboard should have 24-pin and 4/8-pin so 4 power cables total between GPU and Motherboard.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

yes, when i flip the switch on the power supply both lights on my gpu are green. i re-seated the ram, and my mobo has an 8 pin cpu power plug, and thats in. i just dont get why its not working, ive built my last computer before and never had any problems. it doesnt beep or anything. so im not sure what the problem is :/

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

see i thought it was my monitor at first too, but then i used my friends, which he was just using so i know it works. but that didnt help any.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Might be worth connecting to a different display port on the graphics card, and/or trying a different video cable to your monitor. Id still recommend trying a different PCI lane as well.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

ok. when i got my motherboard one of the capcitors was bent pretty bad, it was up by the ps/2 mouse and keyboard inputs. would that do anything? it doesnt move or anything.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

and yes the the psu is sli and crossfire ready, it has 5 or 6 6pin connectors.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Diving slightly deeper into the realm of electronics here. Slightly beyond my knowledge sorry :(

As far as I'm aware the capacitor being slightly bend shouldn't cause an issues so long as the metal "legs" aren't broken/snapped or damaged.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

lol yeah, a little too deep for me to. the only two things i can think of that would be bad are the cpu or the mobo. but idk. i really appreciate all the help. if you find anything else out that i can try it would be a big help!

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

AdrianPerry's right. As long as the capacitor is still connected to the board via both metal leads (legs) and hasn't ruptured, then it can be bent all the way to the board and won't matter. If either of those leads are severed or the cap has ruptured, then it could cause your problem or any number of other problems. And don't worry, you'll know if it has ruptured.

But I think you should try ARchamps advice as well. Clear CMOS and see if that helps. You can remove the battery for 10 minutes or so or I believe your board even has a 'clr CMOS' button in back by the toslink port.

EDIT: Yea, according to pics from ASRock's website, you have a "clr CMOS" button in the back between the PS/2 ports and the toslink/digital coax audio out ports.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

clearing the cmos didnt work either just tried it. this really kinda sucks. ha.

Davayy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Reseat cpu, check for any bent pins or burnt out. Dont leavd system running more than 30 seconds because you might fry your cpu. Had this problem, same no screen, no beep, resat the cpu and everything was fine. GL

lokii_0

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
If you have power but aren't getting a beep, then your motherboard isn't even posting, which generally means that one of the following is incorrectly seated or malfunctioning:
CPU
RAM
GPU
If all of those are correctly connected and not defective, then the problem is likely the motherboard. Your MB should at least post and give you the option to go into BIOS, as long as it has power, cpu, ram, and gpu working.
Is the MB compatible with the RAM that you are using? Some boards are more finnicky than others about RAM, and if you are using RAM that it doesn't like, this exact issue would happen. The MB manufacturer website should have a list of compatible RAM modules, and if I were you I would try to match whatever you buy as closely as possible to one of their certified compatible modules (manufacturer, timing, speed, etc)

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
thanks for all the guys. sadly when i put the cpu in i didnt notice the the socket had bent pins. i returned the mobo and the cpu(returned the cpu just in case) they are being shipped andd i should have them by november 3rd or 4th. is there anything i need to make sure i do to make sure the cpu is installed correctly? ive searched every where but cant find anything.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Not really, if it fits easily then it's where it should be in the manner it should be. Just make sure you use just a dot of thermal paste and plug in your main 24pin ATX power connector, 8 pin CPU power connector and your CPU fan and you should be good to go for a quick test run.