AMD Deneb or Zambezi? plus Mobo compatibility concerns

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

okay, my cpu selection for my pc build rig just got a bit more complicated. I saw this AM3+ FB Zambezi new chip design (?) what is that? i will have4 to read more up on that.

anyways, an older chip
x4 quad core 3.6ghz deneb

or the new chip six-core 3.3ghz. Zambezi

I think the zambezi (although that is a shift). because it's newer , more cores, and seems better.

they're the exact same price.

CONCERN

The mobo I am likely getting is this.

Is that compatible with kingston ram and the am3+??

is there any reason to get the deneb (what I was originally going to get before saw this new chip technology which seems to be called bulldozer?) i'd get the 975 if got deneb.

Could the zambezi cpu have flaws or problems? does it only work with certain mobos and ram?

so basically with this new amd technology, a bit uncertain on which one to buy (and a smidgen of considering intel, but that seems very unlikely b/c cpu needs to be around ~160

looking at

~100 asus mobo
~165 cpu
kingston ram
I have my gpu picked out

and already have a great
case, hd, psu, peripherals

this is meh a headache but significant choicepoint as mobo and/or cpu will dictate which mobo or cpu (lol amd/intel compat. I ahve been focused on amd throughout most all build over the past year. It's taken so long to save up and get parts (about a part 1-2 months) that the mobo is no longer offered and better cpu lol)

I love my case and psu and keyboard and mouse and monitor! Gotta get equally as awesome cpu and mobo and I have always liked kingston ram (despite stuff like sniper and ripjaw 'sounding' more cool)/

TL;DR
I have had to wait (to afford parts) so long that my orig mobo and cpu selection are no longer available.

100% getting asus mobo

very very likely getting amd

uncertain about demeb 975 or the new zambezi nad cocnerned about compatibile mobos.

I guess I am looking for possibly some references to learn more about the deneb 975, new amd chips (is bulldozer a new line of chips? what was the old line called?) and compatible motherboards.

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
"Advanced Encryption Standard noticeably increases performance on the latest encryption applications like TrueCrypt "

THAT will be useful. I'm almost certainly getting the zambezi cpu

i think i smell a troll... just so happens to need the 1 feature that bulldozer beats a 2500k on..
what you honestly thought people would think aww he's calling it zambezee...
is this the GHOST! of gordon freeman...
well if your gonna buy a cpu for mass mid level encryption then its a great buy. if your gonna use it for anything else it will work but not as well as an intel run machine...
my 3 year old 920 (i have had it for 2 but they came out nearer 3 years ago) still punished ZAMBEZEE/bulldozer and it runs slower. but it does more...
for that mater you may as well get a AMD 980 as it beats the buldozer badly in some tests... in fact over half the games i saw benches for the older chip did better...

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

ummmm.... :(

How is this trolling?
Also, I may be behind on on some internet jokes but I don't understand the gordon freeman reference?? Explain??

I don't troll and consider your comment a bit insulting.

On the contrary I'm trying to make some educated parts selections to purchase for my rig, you idiot.

So I'm a Noob, So I call it zambezi. what are you supposed to call it?

It's not mass mid-level encryption. I use truecrypt, so that feature of the cpu would be useful.

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

What does that even mean?? no comprendo?

I think you underestimated my level of noobness and overestimated my tech knowledge on these cpus at least.

there has been re-occurance of threads like 'amd vs intel' and (same) people arguing over and over.
on topic:
if you must get amd cpu right now, ph ii x4 960t b.e. or 970 b.e among fx, 8120.
asus/gigabyte 990fx or 990x chipset (supports multi card cfx/sli).
zambezi's (mainstream desktop cpu based on bulldozer arch) price-performance-power efficiency is quite lower than intel's. besides, new piledriver (update of zambezi fx) cpus are due later this year (according to amd).
current balanced build would be one with an intel core i5 2500k, 8 gb ddr3 1333 ram, z68 mobo, radeon hd 6870/ geforce gtx 560ti, corsair/seasonic 620w psu.
you could wait for a few months and decide after ivy bridge comes out.
edit:
some articles on fx:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumption-efficiency,3060.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficiency-overclock-undervolt,3083.html
tom's best gaming cpus for the money article (if you're into gaming):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
bloody hell.. :??: :fou:

Thanks for the response, but this was insanely not helpful. I "splurged" on PSU and already have psu, so don't know why you listed psus.... I have a good 500W bronze psu with which I am very content. I am on EXTREME low-budget, and cbf with everyone saying get these parts. I CANNOT AFFORD anything but inexpensive parts. Idiots (or people oblivious to the definition of extremely tight financial situation; maybe I didn't make that clear actually) saying well....the price per dollar of a 300 dollar cpu is better than a less expensive one. My gpu and cpu Combined is going to be < $300.

I think the question I asked was too open-ended, it sparks people's opinions which are useless. I got soem good benchmarks for comparing chips on another thread.

Thanks anyway (sort of but not really). Anyways, cheers.