Help-System won't turn on-fans start and then stop

pittguy578

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Not sure what is wrong. Windows 7 I5-750 Stable Build..8 GB Ram..
I have had no problems with this system. Suddenly it started to act up. I thought maybe it was PSU failure so I got another one yesterday. Now I can't get it to boot up at all.

Fans come on.lights flash..then nothing..shuts off..Nothing comes up on the monitor.
It then will reboot itself again and again
Maybe it wasn't a PSU issue..I am not sure where else to look...
Any idea what else I can do?

Sounds like a short somewhere. Is the mobo mounted on standoffs, and are there standoffs installed only where there are holes for them? There's a troubleshooting sticky for rigs that won't boot; go through that. Essentially, disconnect EVERYTHING not needed to POST, then reconnect them one at a time (with power off again, of course!) until you've located the bad part.
What are the rest of your specs, including the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU?

correon

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
check ramsticks - reboot to see if it helps take gfx out and put it in again - reboot to see if it helps check all connections - reboot to see if it helps reset bios - reboot to see if it helps

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I've had weird problems like this before and it seemed like a PSU issue too as well. It would turn on, let the fan ramp up a second or so and then reboot and do it all over again. It would keep looping until I hard powered it off.

The solution that worked for me everytime was to reset CMOS. But I couldn't reset it via the jumper. I had to reset it by removing the battery and waiting a few minutes. I would unplug the PSU, hit the power button on the PC to flush any remaining power, and pop the battery out for about 15 minutes. Put the battery back in about 15 minutes, plug the PSU, and turn it on and reset settings in BIOS to how you had them before.

This was in a lab environment and I had hundreds of this same type of computer, worked everytime. Hopefully your's will be solved with such a simple solution too. I agree though that it doesn't seem to be a PSU issue as you've tried another PSU and still get similar/same results.