No beeps no video, fans spin and DVD drive opens/closes

sonic232

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello, I've got an HP Pavilion p6653w that is refusing to boot. There is no video signal, and yet the fans spin, the power light on the Motherboard is lighting up (but not the power light on the power button), I can faintly hear the HDD beginning to spin and even the DVD tray will open, though it will immediately close.

I want to say 'Power Supply' or 'Motherboard', but don't have any extras laying around to test it with. This is my mother's computer, and she needs this done pretty much now, so waiting for a replacement to come in the mail is not an option.

With the way the issues line up, I want to say its the Motherboard itself, as video is on-board, but I'm looking for other opinions as well.

etepalusip

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

The first thing to try is ram.....hopefully there are 2 sticks. Try booting with just one. One bad stick of ram can cause "no video".

sonic232

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Already tried the RAM, and tried a new power supply, too. Looks like it may be the Motherboard. But if it was the RAM, wouldn't there be beep codes associated with it?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
If the mobo was working properly, a beep code for the ram may have been sounded. however, i would say its the mobo based on process of elimination. did you try your psu and ram on a system you know works? a bad psu will cause a bad mobo potentially...

sonic232

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I didn't want to test the PSU on a known-good mobo for just that reason, which is why I'm going to keep the new PSU for now until I get a new mobo, and that system is the only one in the office that uses DDR2 RAM other than workstations that are needed to be used all day. Besides, the RAM is only a few months old, so while it was on my list of possible culprits, it was rather low.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

No, RAM can be bad and still get no beep codes (I've had it happen). However, my computer would fail while loading windows into corrupt RAM. I've never had bad RAM past memtest86 though. If you take them out completely you should get a beep saying there is no RAM. If you don't get that then I would suspect the motherboard if you already tried a known working PSU (which doesn't mean one you just bought since that could be DOA).

As for being only a few months old, electronics tend to fail either shortly after purchase, or they last for years (assuming they weren't abused).