Game disk won't load.

Last response: in Video Games
January 27, 2005 11:43:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

I just got a used copy of Giga WIng 2 and I can't get it to load in
either of my dreamcasts. All my other games load without issue. When I
insert the disk it goes to black and acts like its going to load, then
the dreamcast just goes quite for about 15 secs and up pops the
dreamcast menu. I already disk doctored the disk and I cleaned the
lens. As all my other games play with out issue I'm worried that its
gonna come down to having bought a bad disk.

More about : game disk load

January 27, 2005 8:10:15 PM

clearush wrote:

> I just got a used copy of Giga WIng 2 and I can't get it to load in
> either of my dreamcasts. All my other games load without issue. When I
> insert the disk it goes to black and acts like its going to load, then
> the dreamcast just goes quite for about 15 secs and up pops the
> dreamcast menu. I already disk doctored the disk and I cleaned the
> lens. As all my other games play with out issue I'm worried that its
> gonna come down to having bought a bad disk.

Are you playing the game using a VGA monitor? GW2 might not support VGA
without some help from a boot disc...
January 27, 2005 8:10:16 PM

Ted wrote:
> clearush wrote:
>>
>> I just got a used copy of Giga WIng 2 and I can't get it to load in
>> either of my dreamcasts. All my other games load without issue. When
>> I insert the disk it goes to black and acts like its going to load,
>> then the dreamcast just goes quite for about 15 secs and up pops the
>> dreamcast menu. I already disk doctored the disk and I cleaned the
>> lens. As all my other games play with out issue I'm worried that its
>> gonna come down to having bought a bad disk.
>
> Are you playing the game using a VGA monitor? GW2 might not support
> VGA without some help from a boot disc...

Where can one get this bootdisk to make non VGA games play on a monitor?

drax
January 27, 2005 8:10:17 PM

drax wrote:

> Ted wrote:
> > clearush wrote:
> >>
> >> I just got a used copy of Giga WIng 2 and I can't get it to load in
> >> either of my dreamcasts. All my other games load without issue. When
> >> I insert the disk it goes to black and acts like its going to load,
> >> then the dreamcast just goes quite for about 15 secs and up pops the
> >> dreamcast menu. I already disk doctored the disk and I cleaned the
> >> lens. As all my other games play with out issue I'm worried that its
> >> gonna come down to having bought a bad disk.
> >
> > Are you playing the game using a VGA monitor? GW2 might not support
> > VGA without some help from a boot disc...
>
> Where can one get this bootdisk to make non VGA games play on a monitor?
>
> drax

There's a professional disc out there called "DC-X" that will do it...I'm
not sure if the Utopia Boot Disc will do it or not, but it's free...

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Do not eat iPod shuffle."
- Apple Computers
January 27, 2005 11:11:47 PM

BelPowerslave wrote:

> drax wrote:
>
> > Ted wrote:

> > > Are you playing the game using a VGA monitor? GW2 might not support
> > > VGA without some help from a boot disc...
> >
> > Where can one get this bootdisk to make non VGA games play on a monitor?
> >
> > drax
>
> There's a professional disc out there called "DC-X" that will do it...I'm
> not sure if the Utopia Boot Disc will do it or not, but it's free...

Yeah, I was talking about the DC-X. Look for it on eBay. It will
successfully force most games to work properly in VGA, altho there are
some exceptions, like Bangai-o.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:15:12 AM

clearush wrote:

> I just got a used copy of Giga WIng 2 and I can't get it to load in
> either of my dreamcasts. All my other games load without issue. When I
> insert the disk it goes to black and acts like its going to load, then
> the dreamcast just goes quite for about 15 secs and up pops the
> dreamcast menu. I already disk doctored the disk and I cleaned the
> lens. As all my other games play with out issue I'm worried that its
> gonna come down to having bought a bad disk.

gigawing does not support RGB
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:22:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

No! just running it with the home 27 inch tv with standard rca plugs. I
even went down to gamecrazy and had them polish the surface (no
sanding)as there weren't enough scratches to need resurfacing. The bum
thing is I have two 1st gen dream casts and niether will run it, yet
the guy I bought it from played it last month without any issue on his
1 gen dreamcast. I've even tried flipping the dc upside down and still
nothing. laser lens has been cleaned. I'm at a loss I'm guessing I'm
gonna have to resell it if I can't get it to work.
January 28, 2005 1:46:47 PM

Ted wrote:
> BelPowerslave wrote:
>>
>> drax wrote:

>>> Where can one get this bootdisk to make non VGA games play on a
>>> monitor?
>>>
>>> drax
>>
>> There's a professional disc out there called "DC-X" that will do
>> it...I'm not sure if the Utopia Boot Disc will do it or not, but
>> it's free...
>
> Yeah, I was talking about the DC-X. Look for it on eBay. It will
> successfully force most games to work properly in VGA, altho there are
> some exceptions, like Bangai-o.

I'll look for that, and the Utopia disk that Bel mentioned.

thanks,

drax
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:50:20 PM

clearush wrote:

> No! just running it with the home 27 inch tv with standard rca plugs. I
> even went down to gamecrazy and had them polish the surface (no
> sanding)as there weren't enough scratches to need resurfacing. The bum
> thing is I have two 1st gen dream casts and niether will run it, yet
> the guy I bought it from played it last month without any issue on his
> 1 gen dreamcast. I've even tried flipping the dc upside down and still
> nothing. laser lens has been cleaned. I'm at a loss I'm guessing I'm
> gonna have to resell it if I can't get it to work.

I bought Skies of Arcadia from a buddy a long while back, while it worked
fine on his DC, I can only get it to boot about 40% of the time. I have to
just keep trying and trying and trying, and eventually it'll boot. I think
it's more of an issue of the two types of DC's out there than an actual
disc issue. If you've got a buddy who has a different version of the DC
than you do, test it out on his and see how that goes.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Do not eat iPod shuffle."
- Apple Computers
January 28, 2005 8:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

drax wrote:
snip
> I'll look for that, and the Utopia disk that Bel mentioned.

The Utopia disc is a free bootloader; look for it for free. But it won't
really help with VGA (other than a few weird cases; I think getting
Shenmue 2 to work on a US DC wouldn't work on a VGA monitor with the
Gameshark, but did with Utopia, but Utopia wouldn't work with it on a TV
while Gameshark did, or vice versa.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > I bought Skies of Arcadia from a buddy a long while back, while it
> > worked fine on his DC, I can only get it to boot about 40% of the time.
> > I have to just keep trying and trying and trying, and eventually it'll
> > boot. I think it's more of an issue of the two types of DC's out there
> > than an actual disc issue. If you've got a buddy who has a different
> > version of the DC than you do, test it out on his and see how that
> > goes.
> >
> > Bel
>
> I've noticed this problem with several of my games that ran on my old DC,
> but won't run on my replacement. The old one had something go bad on the
> logic board, but the disk drive is still good. Will swapping the drives
> fix the problem?
>
> Of course, I'll probably try it before I get any replies. :)
>
> Bert

You could try....it may or may not work. If it doesn't, see what version of
DC you have then try to look for one of the other models and you should be
alright. :)

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream...whoa, I think my dingy
hanging out!
- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:02:20 PM