Help with servers.

Hello, my name is Cody, I'm in an IT class and we are doing a project where we need to design a network build for a fake gaming company. My friend and I have the job of finding a suitable mail server and a local file print server, and I would like to have some recommendations from some of you people out there who know a little bit more about this than I do. I need to know what kind of parts to buy if I were to design a build off of Newegg and what quality the part should be, for example I may need ram, but how much, or I may need 2 CPUs but how many cores and what clock rate. I also need to know would it just be better to buy a server outright from dell for instance. also what kind of software should I be getting for these servers?

the fake environment these servers would go in is an office in Boston housing 75 employees. I'm not sure but I think these employees are going to be working in administration, or something like standard office work.

thanks for your answers and if you need more info just tell me.
5 answers Last reply
More about help servers
  1. you should be able to run a small mail and file server off just about any machine.

like a normal everyday computer for like $500 would do it.
  2. Thanks for the answer, but I don't think a $500 pc as a server will impress the judges if you know what I mean, although your answer was helpful.
  3. It really depends on how much you want to spend! :)
  4. Just head over to Dell's or hp's server section.
    Self build servers are generally a massive no-no in the business world.
  5. You would need an entry level server, running Windows Server 2008, with MS Exchange 2010. A Raid array setup for redundancy and a backup solution, preferably offsite. As joedastudd suggested, check out Dell or HP for server solutions too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers Components