Help with servers.

dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello, my name is Cody, I'm in an IT class and we are doing a project where we need to design a network build for a fake gaming company. My friend and I have the job of finding a suitable mail server and a local file print server, and I would like to have some recommendations from some of you people out there who know a little bit more about this than I do. I need to know what kind of parts to buy if I were to design a build off of Newegg and what quality the part should be, for example I may need ram, but how much, or I may need 2 CPUs but how many cores and what clock rate. I also need to know would it just be better to buy a server outright from dell for instance. also what kind of software should I be getting for these servers?

the fake environment these servers would go in is an office in Boston housing 75 employees. I'm not sure but I think these employees are going to be working in administration, or something like standard office work.

thanks for your answers and if you need more info just tell me.

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
You would need an entry level server, running Windows Server 2008, with MS Exchange 2010. A Raid array setup for redundancy and a backup solution, preferably offsite. As joedastudd suggested, check out Dell or HP for server solutions too.