DC Subunit Failure?

dc76128

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520. I spilled a small amount of port on the keyboard 5 months ago, but that was enough. the computer soon failed to boot. I sent it to the manufacturer and they returned with a $900 repair estimate and a bruise to my ego. I decided that for that price I could learn more about how to fix these issues myself.

I have since opened up the system and found the same residue they mentioned. They did tell me the dc sub unit needed to be replaced, and at the moment all I want is the thing to turn on. So I tested the pins on the sub unit and they were receiving power when plugged in. However the rest of the motherboard was not. Hence, the rest of the system would not boot.

I am still very new at this but am wondering if I could just replace the sub unit to test the viability of the hardware. If the system turns on wonderful, if not there must be something else wrong, but I do not know where.

I am asking for the professional oppinion of this fine community. What should I do next? How can I get this thing running?

Thank you for all your help

p.s. the full specs can be found here ( http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tech-specs/laptop/thinkpad/edge-series/e520/ )

I have the i5

dc76128

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012