Sign in with
Your question

What intel is this AMD?

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2012 6:50:40 PM

hey everyone

I was thinking about intel and AMD cpu's and I wanted to know this:

what could an AMD Phenom II X4 960T be compared with on the intel side?

I was wondering because I'm going to build my first system and I'm going with this AMD cpu, and I was thinking I maybe could switch to intel. But that's getting expensive so I'll see :) 

More about : intel amd

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 19, 2012 7:05:55 PM

depending on what you are doing but the 960t would most likely compare to a Q9XXX but would be slightly faster.

the 960 would be kinda like an i3 in the current line but faster in threaded apps and slower on less threaded apps.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
January 19, 2012 7:13:06 PM

Overall, the Phenom II 960T is probably marginally faster than my Q9450 or close to the Q9550 CPU.
Related resources
January 20, 2012 3:43:03 AM

so the AMD Phenom could be compared with the Intel Q9550?

well I'm sticking with AMD, cause intel is ways to expensive and this Phenom is a black edition so I'm going to overclock every little piece of power that in there out of it.

that's actually what I wanted to know, thanks
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
January 20, 2012 3:51:09 AM

I replied earlier from my cellphone so switching back and forth between websites isn't very easy. See the following benchmark comparison between the Phenom II 965BE and the Q9550. The 960T is not an option and be aware that in some of the benchmarks lower scores are better than higher scores.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=50
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:35:54 AM

The 960T is quite slower than the current i3 2100. It settles in for the exact same price (for Newegg) and it has lower power consumption and better performance. Yes, the 960T can be unlocked to 6 cores. And yes, it can be overclocked BUT the i3 2100 STILL beats it with lower power consumption.

When are you going to buy your new rig and what's your budget? Do you play games and if you do, what kind of games do you play? BF3? Skyrim? Minecraft?

If you get a Z68 mobo with the i3 2100, you can upgrade to IB or a 2500K in the future without changing anything else except the CPU (obviously).
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 4:49:09 AM

the 960t is not much slower than the i3.
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:53:34 AM

esrever said:
the 960t is not much slower than the i3.

Yea, but considering the i3 is the same exact price with lower power consumption, the i3 is more ideal.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
January 20, 2012 4:55:46 AM

i3-2100, but if you compare it to an i5.... :S
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:59:36 AM

amuffin said:
i3-2100, but if you compare it to an i5.... :S

If you compare any AMD processor to the i5...
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 5:00:15 AM

e56imfg said:
Yea, but considering the i3 is the same exact price with lower power consumption, the i3 is more ideal.
the phenom can OC and be better in everything than the i3. The power consumption isn't very important to most people considering the difference between 95w and 65w is a 30w light bulb being on if both cpu are running full load, which they don't usually.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
January 20, 2012 5:05:03 AM

esrever said:
the phenom can OC and be better in everything than the i3. The power consumption isn't very important to most people considering the difference between 95w and 65w is a 30w light bulb being on if both cpu are running full load, which they don't usually.

The problem with phenom's and bd and everything, is you HAVE to oc in order to outperform a stock clocked i3/i5/i7.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 5:09:02 AM

the 960t will out perform the i3 in any multi threaded tasks. The OC is just a bonus.
January 20, 2012 5:25:29 AM

e56imfg wrote: "The 960T is quite slower than the current i3 2100. It settles in for the exact same price (for Newegg) and it has lower power consumption and better performance."

I'm sorry but you can't just come out and say that.

esrever has a more accurate statement: "the 960 would be kinda like an i3 in the current line but faster in threaded apps and slower on less threaded apps."

a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
January 20, 2012 5:44:11 AM

Choosing between the Phenom II X4 960T or the Core i3-2100 depends on what you want to do. For pure gaming, I would probably go with the Core i3-2100, but it also depends on the resolution you play at. Basically at 1920 x 1080 resolution or higher, the graphics card becomes more important than the CPU in most games. As long as the CPU is fast enough there should be marginal differences in frame rates. Below 1920 x 1080 then generally the CPU can potentially bottleneck the graphics card resulting in a difference in performance.

If the purpose of the PC is to do other things than simply playing games, then the Phenom II X4 960T more likely to be a better choice especially if encoding video is involved.

When it comes to overclocking, then the Phenom II X4 960T will definitely pull ahead in performance since Core i3 CPUs can only be overclocked by 300MHz - 400MHz (maybe 500MHz at best).

As for power consumption... yes the 960T will use more power, but most individuals will not care since the increase to the electricity is not very substantial especially in a city where the cost of electricity is on the lower end of the range. I believe KWH prices ranges between $0.06 - $0.28 in the US. On the extreme high end and assuming you are gaming 8 hours a day, everyday during the course of a month the 960T would at worse increase the electricity bill by $4 per month compared the Core i3. But that would be playing 8 hours a day or 240 hours per month (assuming 30 days).

Overall, the Phenom II X4 960T would be a better choice than the Core i3 especially when overclocking is involved.
January 20, 2012 7:17:09 AM

wow, that are a lot of answers in one day :ouch: 

allright, let's start from the beginning:

this system will be build at the end of february, so there's enought time to decide what's the best thing to do.

first: the specs of my system:

CPU: well...
GPU: AMD Radeon 6850 (OC in future)
case: cooler master elite 430
CPU cooler: cooler master hyper 212 evo (upgrade to 2 fans)
(for cooling: I'll turn the CPU cooler to the top of the case where I install 2 120 mm fans, so there's enough cooling + 140mm intake on the front and 120mm on the bottom)
PSU: 600 Watt SilverStone ST60F-ES 85% efficiency
monitor: LG 23" 1920x1080 full hd

I will not use this system for something special, this will be my main computer so it has got to run everything. The main things I will do are things like Photoshop, browsing the internet and of course gaming, mostly games like Assassins creed, batman arkham ... and maybe skyrim, not really demanding, though Arkham City is pretty demanding.

maybe most important: I am always multitasking!

so I hope this is enough, got to stop typing now :) 

thanks
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 7:22:14 AM

I'd say get the phenom II since you are buying a nice cooler for OC unless you have enough money for an i5.

4 cores are better than 2 + hyperthreading for multitasking and things like photoshop.
January 20, 2012 1:51:13 PM

hey I have another question, real quick, so I didn't want to make a new thread...

which cpu is better and why (!):

AMD Phenom II X4 960t vs AMD a3670K

there both about the same price, both black edition, I just want to know which one would perform better in the things I mentioned before:

Quote:
The main things I will do are things like Photoshop, browsing the internet and of course gaming, mostly games like Assassins creed, batman arkham ... and maybe skyrim.
maybe most important: I am always multitasking!

so what would you say? please explain!
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 2:18:00 PM

The 960T is a Zosma processor. This means it's a Thuban 6 core that has had two of its cores locked. If you mainboard will support it, you could potentially unlock those cores, so basically you get a 6-core Thuban for the price of a 4-core Phenom II.

Why is this better than the A3670K APU? The A3670K has 4 cores clocked at 2.7 Ghz stock. Just like the 960T, the multiplier is unlocked. BUT, the 960T has more cache memory and the potential to unlock 2 more cores, while the A3670K has a Radeon GPU (6530D) on the same die. As you are going with a discrete card anyway (6850), the Radeon GPU in the A3670K is like the human appendix...there but useless. For the same price, go with the Zosma 960T, try to unlock the extra cores and see if you can get a decent OC.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
January 20, 2012 2:20:47 PM

I would go with the 960T. The Llano APUs are based off of a tweaked Athlon II CPU core and would be a little slower than the Phenom II CPU core. Also there is no upgrade path for a next generation APU; Llano is socket FM1. It's successor will be Trinity that will be based on the Bulldozer CPU core and Radeon HD 7xxx graphic core. However, Trinity will be socket FM2.

Going with the 960T means that you can at least upgrade to Piledriver when it comes out. AMD predicts a 10% improvement in performance over Bulldozer. If true, then that will place Piledriver at approximately the same performance as the 1st generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7.

a b à CPUs
January 27, 2012 8:21:43 AM

On one hand, yes, he could consider Piledriver, but by then what will he be doing? Upgrading to a CPU that's technically several years behind the competitor's product in performance? He could invest in an i5 now and not have to touch it for a few years at least. When Ivy Bridge rolls around he'll have a greater than 10% upgrade prospect. :) 

It's your money, though. Smart money right now is on an i5 left on stock voltages and turned up to 4.0 GHZ.

Here's logic. If a heavily overclocked Phenom II can barely touch a stock 3.3 i5 in some things, and doesn't always necessarily beat an i3 (sorry to the guy who thinks it does) except in very specific circumstances, what happens when the i5 gets overclocked? Much more performance and less need to upgrade. It's simply cheaper in the long run.
!