Sign in with
Your question

4850 to 6790

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2011 3:50:04 PM

After for years my 4850 broke, and ive tried everything to fix it, but I can't. So im looking to buy a new graphics card. Im in college and im seriously broke. I got a $300 for personal use, but i need $100 to buy MW3 Hardened Edition, $40 to buy a new dvd drive for my 360, about $12 for some new thermal paste, and maybe about $10 for shipping. Which leaves me with about $140 for a graphics card.

Im not really a PC gamer, I only play MMORPGs and other games. (WoW, LoL, and probaly SWTOR.) Will the 6790 be able to handle SWTOR? Would I notice a difference in gaming? (Not that WoW and LoL are very GPU demanding lol)

I can't budget up $30 more for a 6850. My processor is a Q6600 if that changes anything.

Basically is the 6790 worth it for like $134.

More about : 4850 6790

Related resources
October 19, 2011 4:20:46 PM

what resolution does your monitor run at? if it's 1680x1050, grab a 6770. if it's 1920x1080, grab a 6850 -- there are a few on newegg for $135 after rebate.

from a futureproofing standpoint the 6850 will last you a good bit longer for any new games that might come out, so if you're undecided i would recommend it over the 6770.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:24:11 PM

Ugabulldawgs said:
Im a fan of good price/performance ratio products lol. So I might get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For games, the graphics card really is the most important piece of hardware in your system. Unless you plan on completely getting a new system within a year, get a 6870. You will not be limited to older games or ones with subpar graphics that way. Just think about it; you plan on spending just as much on one single game as you do on the most important gaming component in your system? I can't comprehend that, I'm sorry.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:32:02 PM

ares640 said:
For games, the graphics card really is the most important piece of hardware in your system. Unless you plan on completely getting a new system within a year, get a 6870. You will not be limited to older games or ones with subpar graphics that way. Just think about it; you plan on spending just as much on one single game as you do on the most important gaming component in your system? I can't comprehend that, I'm sorry.

Thats okay if you cant comprehend it. As I said, im not really a PC gamer. The game is actually $60 but it comes with COD elite, which would help me save money in the long run and not to buy map packs. Oh, and I do plan on building a new system towards summer 2012.

The game im getting is for xbox 360, and i already have a working laptop that can play WoW and LoL, but it can't play them on max settings or anything. I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a graphics card if i barely use it.

I get about $1000 a month, but I have some tution fees to pay, so after that i have like $800, then I got a cell phone bill to pay and other monthly stuff, and im really just trying to save it for a big upgrade and a whole new system. Since the one that currently isnt working is 4 years old. But i need a graphics card to get it to work ASAP since some of my work is on the computer.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:35:05 PM

Ugabulldawgs said:
Thats okay if you cant comprehend it. As I said, im not really a PC gamer. The game is actually $60 but it comes with COD elite, which would help me save money in the long run and not to buy map packs. Oh, and I do plan on building a new system towards summer 2012.

The game im getting is for xbox 360, and i already have a working laptop that can play WoW and LoL, but it can't play them on max settings or anything. I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a graphics card if i barely use it.

+1.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:51:42 PM

Ugabulldawgs said:

I get about $1000 a month, but I have some tution fees to pay, so after that i have like $800, then I got a cell phone bill to pay and other monthly stuff, and im really just trying to save it for a big upgrade and a whole new system. Since the one that currently isnt working is 4 years old. But i need a graphics card to get it to work ASAP since some of my work is on the computer.

Now, that makes much more sense :p  I was using a mainsteam dell from 2007 with a 9800 gtx upgrade until last month when I bought the build in my signature below. If it is just a temporary solution, then yes get something cheap that will give you your desired performance. When you do a new build however, you need to think about how long you plan on using your new system for. I plan on getting another GTX 570 when Nvidia Kepler is released so that my build should last flawlessly for 2-3 years hopefully.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 19, 2011 5:01:57 PM

If you were happy with the performance of the HD4850, a HD6770 would be sufficient as it is a slight upgrade. A GDDR5 version of the HD6670 loses only a little performance, but doesn't save enough money to be worthwhile unless you really want to keep a lid on the budget.

m
l
October 19, 2011 5:10:34 PM

ultimabeam said:
what resolution does your monitor run at? if it's 1680x1050, grab a 6770. if it's 1920x1080, grab a 6850 -- there are a few on newegg for $135 after rebate.

from a futureproofing standpoint the 6850 will last you a good bit longer for any new games that might come out, so if you're undecided i would recommend it over the 6770.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this, my monitor runs 1920x1080 23 inch
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:33:01 PM

Ugabulldawgs said:
Sorry, I forgot to answer this, my monitor runs 1920x1080 23 inch

Ugabulldawgs said:

if you're going to build a new system in summer 2012, it's possible that the better plan is to buy a graphics card now that you'd be happy to have in a new system. do you have some money saved towards that machine, or not yet?

if you have the power supply to handle it, you can buy a 6950 or 570 and be pretty confident that prices on those cards will drop by less than $110 over the next 9 months.

seems like a waste to spend a hundred bucks on a new graphics card that you'll be replacing in less than a year anyway.
m
l
!