Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hi guys, just let me know which of these two options would perform better in every scenario you can think of, ty ( im a gamer/ video editor)

1. 3770K + p8Z77-v Deluxe
2. 3770k + Maximus V formula
3. 3820 +p9x79pro ( this would give me pathway to ivy bridge E and the 3820 can clock as high as 4.7Ghz, i have a h100i so temperature is not that big of a deal)

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Well the x79 system will definitely outperform the other platforms as it is geared towards enthusiasts and especially excels in areas such as video rendering, editing, and all sorts of processing intensive tasks like that.

The average consumer/gamer does not need a desktop on the x79 platform as they will see no benefit but if you do a lot of video editing as you mentioned it would be worth it, especially considering that all those options you listed are close in price anyways. The x79 is very future proof aswell as it offers quad channel memory and LOTS of PCIe lanes.

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I'll offer the opposing viewpoint. The z77 motherboards with pcie3.0 and plx chip have plenty of lanes. Ivy is available on z77 but not 79 as well.

If you are gaming and even medium video editing etc I would get z77.

If you are heavy duty editing, I'd get 79, with the consideration that you may need new CPU when ivy-e comes out. Or if money is no object then 79.

Intels next tick will use new socket. Ivy was disappointing from a performance perspective.

Although the x79 has the ability to take cpus with more cores, has more memory channels and more pcie lanes, unless you specifically needs those things, its not worth the extra cash. The 3820 is not really faster that the 3770k and most likely they will clock to around the same speeds. The 3820/x79 is going to use more power though to get similar performance. If you decide you want more power for editing, you will need to go with six cores or more to really get more performance than what z77 offers.

If you go LGA 2011, you are wasting your money unless you get a six-core i7 and use software that is well-threaded enough to run much faster on the six-core i7s than on the quad-core models. That usually means that you'd have to use software that can effectively use at least ten threads because anything that can use eight or less will run, although faster on the i7-39xx CPUs, probably not faster enough to be worth the expense.

Generally, for gaming, the Ivy i7s on Z77 are better choices (more accurately, it's usually better to go down to an Ivy i5 such as the i5-3570K) because there aren't many situations where they're at a real-world disadvantage to the six-core SB-E CPUs. In fact, the only such situation that I can think of is 120Hz gaming in BF3 MP where an overclocked i7-3770K might simply not be enough to compliment a 120Hz display. Otherwise, gaming would either favor the Ivy CPUs or they'd perform so well that it doesn't matter.

For work where more than four of Intel's cores may be important, then you may have good enough reason to go for an LGA 2011 build, but never with the i7-3820 unless you only got it as a stepping stone to an i7-3930K. The i7-3820 simply can't beat the i7-3770K by much, especially at stock where it often loses (very slightly) and it consumes a lot more power (more than even Sandy Bridge models, undoubtedly thanks to its larger cache, PCIe controller, and memory controllers).

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
so im faced with either getting a 3820 as a stepping stone to Ivy-E when it will launch, which will probably use a socket 2011 format ( if I'm lucky maybe even stick with the x79 chipset) . Or get a 3770k stay on the dead end 1155 socket and have a slightly better performance than the 3820, and only upgrade a somewhere about 2-3 years from now and buy the new cpu as well as a new motherboard.

Really tough call, what whould you guys do in this type of situation?

Unless you can get an i7-3930K system right now and can really use it's fully threaded performance, I'd just go with a cheaper LGA 1155 system. Are you even doing work where an i7 is important to have over an i5? An i5 has nearly identical gaming performance in almost every situation (not many, if any at all, where the i7 has a real-world advantage) and although its lack of Hyper-Threading can hurt in some more well-threaded work, it's not a huge drop and the i5s are still exceptionally fast CPUs for almost all consumer and most professional workloads.

What exactly will you be doing if you don't mind me asking? I probably couldn't give a particularly accurate account of what level of performance you'd want (especially to last until the next upgrade), but maybe some of the other members could give a better recommendation with such information.

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
well as far as gaming goes, Bf3, assassins creed 3, Witcher2, some League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and as of late just to try it metro 2033,
I record some gameplay with fraps, edit with sony vegas, and also im trying to learn 3dsMAX,

I think that I'd go with an i7-3770K for you, but that's me. I don't see you using more than the i5-3570K can provide right now with overclocking, but I think that it'd be best to be a little more prepared for future applications and the i7-3770K should be more than enough to account for that IMO.

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
ok so if i go z77 which motherboard should i pick up? p8z77-delux or maximus V? i dont like the asrock extreme 4 just to be noted xD

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
honestly the extreme 4 looks like something i'd give to my 3 year old son to play with , its just my opinion it looks terrible, :))

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
also, if i go with the 3770k and use virtuMVP will that help my gaming framerates and video rendering speeds?, i have a gtx 680 directcu2 top

I don't like the looks too much either, but it's technically a superior board to any in its price range and also to most much more expensive boards too. It can be had for $105 right now and since it can fight with many of the $150-200 boards, it's an incredible deal for its capability and capacity within those capabilities.

I don't get how you'd dislike it as much as you said, it's fairly plain black rather than some ridiculous Foxconn style, but to each his own :/