Motorola v551 - Bluetooth turned on / Battery Life

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

I've got a new Motorola v551 with the Bluetooh option turned "on"
since I am integrating the phone with Bluetooth technology in my car.
Seems that the phone will only stay charged for 7 or 8 hours before
the battery completely discharges itself. Is this normal behavior
when Bluetooh is turned on? Is there a way for the phone to
automatically turn the Bluetooth "off" when it isn't needed? (i.e.
When the phone is away from the car).

I can't believe that it causes *that much* strain on the battery.
8 answers Last reply
More about motorola v551 bluetooth turned battery life
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <61570783.0411191153.188e85b4@posting.google.com> on 19 Nov 2004 11:53:51
    -0800, rspike@comcast.net (Robert Spike) wrote:

    >I've got a new Motorola v551 with the Bluetooh option turned "on"
    >since I am integrating the phone with Bluetooth technology in my car.
    >Seems that the phone will only stay charged for 7 or 8 hours before
    >the battery completely discharges itself. Is this normal behavior
    >when Bluetooh is turned on? Is there a way for the phone to
    >automatically turn the Bluetooth "off" when it isn't needed? (i.e.
    >When the phone is away from the car).
    >
    >I can't believe that it causes *that much* strain on the battery.

    My experience is similar -- Bluetooth power management in the V551 is poor.
    It's one of the reasons I'm returning the phone and sticking with my Sony
    Ericsson Z600, where I can leave Bluetooth on all the time with only a small
    reduction in battery life.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    I have Bluetooth on 100% and talk about an hour a day from car using
    Bluetooth. Have no battery life issues, stays on full battery symbol all
    the time.

    BTW, stay away from the cases Cingular sells. Noted that the case is too
    tight and pushes on buttons on side and that was keeping the backlight on
    100%. That will hurt battery life.

    Surprised you like the Z600. It is about the biggest, ugliest cheap feeling
    phone I've ever seen from SonyEricsson. Super thin plastic pieces that fall
    off. CSTN display is horrible. That "click" everytime you open and close it,
    drives me nuts. Glad they stopped making them.
    Steve

    --
    Steve
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <61570783.0411191153.188e85b4@posting.google.com> on 19 Nov 2004
    > 11:53:51
    > -0800, rspike@comcast.net (Robert Spike) wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a new Motorola v551 with the Bluetooh option turned "on"
    >>since I am integrating the phone with Bluetooth technology in my car.
    >>Seems that the phone will only stay charged for 7 or 8 hours before
    >>the battery completely discharges itself. Is this normal behavior
    >>when Bluetooh is turned on? Is there a way for the phone to
    >>automatically turn the Bluetooth "off" when it isn't needed? (i.e.
    >>When the phone is away from the car).
    >>
    >>I can't believe that it causes *that much* strain on the battery.
    >
    > My experience is similar -- Bluetooth power management in the V551 is
    > poor.
    > It's one of the reasons I'm returning the phone and sticking with my Sony
    > Ericsson Z600, where I can leave Bluetooth on all the time with only a
    > small
    > reduction in battery life.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <oQxnd.4179$Qh3.4105@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004
    02:19:00 GMT, "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

    >I have Bluetooth on 100% and talk about an hour a day from car using
    >Bluetooth. Have no battery life issues, stays on full battery symbol all
    >the time.

    Then you must have a magic battery. Seriously.

    >BTW, stay away from the cases Cingular sells. Noted that the case is too
    >tight and pushes on buttons on side and that was keeping the backlight on
    >100%. That will hurt battery life.

    Just about any case will do that -- the buttons are poorly designed, way too
    easy to depress.

    >Surprised you like the Z600. It is about the biggest, ugliest cheap feeling
    >phone I've ever seen from SonyEricsson. Super thin plastic pieces that fall
    >off. CSTN display is horrible. That "click" everytime you open and close it,
    >drives me nuts. Glad they stopped making them.

    My take:

    * A bit large, but not by much
    * Attractive
    * Rugged, with a solid feel
    * Very nice display
    * Excellent Bluetooth
    * Excellent power management
    * Excellent GPRS
    * Very well engineered

    If it had EDGE, and a bit better camera, it would be near perfect.
    Even so, it's a better phone than the V551.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:19:00 +0000, Steve wrote:

    > I have Bluetooth on 100% and talk about an hour a day from car using
    > Bluetooth. Have no battery life issues, stays on full battery symbol all
    > the time.
    >
    > BTW, stay away from the cases Cingular sells. Noted that the case is too
    > tight and pushes on buttons on side and that was keeping the backlight on
    > 100%. That will hurt battery life.
    >
    > Surprised you like the Z600. It is about the biggest, ugliest cheap feeling
    > phone I've ever seen from SonyEricsson. Super thin plastic pieces that fall
    > off. CSTN display is horrible. That "click" everytime you open and close it,
    > drives me nuts. Glad they stopped making them.

    Sure you're not confusing the Z600 with something else.

    The Z600 has a good 65,000 colour active-matrix TFT screen, and NOT a
    passive CSTN screen. As for 'Super thin plastic pieces that fall off', the
    Z600 I used seemed pretty solid to me. And AFAIK it's not been
    discontinued.

    The Z600 is a clamshell version of the T630.

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:18:06 +0000, John Navas wrote:

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <oQxnd.4179$Qh3.4105@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004
    > 02:19:00 GMT, "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >>Surprised you like the Z600. It is about the biggest, ugliest cheap feeling
    >>phone I've ever seen from SonyEricsson. Super thin plastic pieces that fall
    >>off. CSTN display is horrible. That "click" everytime you open and close it,
    >>drives me nuts. Glad they stopped making them.
    >
    > My take:
    >
    > * A bit large, but not by much
    > * Attractive
    > * Rugged, with a solid feel
    > * Very nice display
    > * Excellent Bluetooth
    > * Excellent power management
    > * Excellent GPRS
    > * Very well engineered
    >
    > If it had EDGE, and a bit better camera, it would be near perfect.
    > Even so, it's a better phone than the V551.

    Yup that sounds like the Z600.

    I'm sure 'Steve' was talking about the Z200, as that has a CSTN screen,
    'plastic pieces that fall off', and clicks when you open it.

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    if you look high and low at the sony ericsson sites globally, you will never
    see the term "TFT" in the official specs of the Z600. It's never mentioned.
    They can't make that claim. It's 65k colors, yes which leads you to believe
    its TFT but it's not. But not to the high resolution of the V400 or V551
    which are 176x220 TFT displays. And it only has a CIF camera which is a
    surprise.

    They seem to correct alot of deficiences in the Z500 but for some reason, it
    is not available yet. Too bad Bluetooth was left out.

    Oh and the Z600 is discontinued in many parts of Asia and Europe.

    --
    Steve
    "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:19:00 +0000, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> I have Bluetooth on 100% and talk about an hour a day from car using
    >> Bluetooth. Have no battery life issues, stays on full battery symbol all
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> BTW, stay away from the cases Cingular sells. Noted that the case is too
    >> tight and pushes on buttons on side and that was keeping the backlight on
    >> 100%. That will hurt battery life.
    >>
    >> Surprised you like the Z600. It is about the biggest, ugliest cheap
    >> feeling
    >> phone I've ever seen from SonyEricsson. Super thin plastic pieces that
    >> fall
    >> off. CSTN display is horrible. That "click" everytime you open and close
    >> it,
    >> drives me nuts. Glad they stopped making them.
    >
    > Sure you're not confusing the Z600 with something else.
    >
    > The Z600 has a good 65,000 colour active-matrix TFT screen, and NOT a
    > passive CSTN screen. As for 'Super thin plastic pieces that fall off', the
    > Z600 I used seemed pretty solid to me. And AFAIK it's not been
    > discontinued.
    >
    > The Z600 is a clamshell version of the T630.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Turner
    > Email (ROT13)
    > zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <pan.2004.11.20.07.52.14.640000@grfpb.arg> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:52:16
    +0000, michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:18:06 +0000, John Navas wrote:

    >> My take [on the SE Z600]:
    >>
    >> * A bit large, but not by much
    >> * Attractive
    >> * Rugged, with a solid feel
    >> * Very nice display
    >> * Excellent Bluetooth
    >> * Excellent power management
    >> * Excellent GPRS
    >> * Very well engineered
    >>
    >> If it had EDGE, and a bit better camera, it would be near perfect.
    >> Even so, it's a better phone than the V551.
    >
    >Yup that sounds like the Z600.
    >
    >I'm sure 'Steve' was talking about the Z200, as that has a CSTN screen,
    >'plastic pieces that fall off', and clicks when you open it.

    The Z600 does click when you open it. I personally like the click, because
    it's part of a positive lock that holds the phone fully open.

    The real disappointment from Sony Ericsson, which at first blush looked to be
    a worthy successor to the Z600, is the Z500 (a bit smaller, EDGE Class 10,
    speakerphone, VGA camera, video), except NO BLUETOOTH -- whatever were they
    thinking?!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <QyHnd.4427$Qh3.3390@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004
    13:22:56 GMT, "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

    >if you look high and low at the sony ericsson sites globally, you will never
    >see the term "TFT" in the official specs of the Z600. It's never mentioned.
    >They can't make that claim. It's 65k colors, yes which leads you to believe
    >its TFT but it's not.

    The transflective display on the Z600 is actually an advanced type of TFD
    (Thin Film Diode) called MD-TFD (Mobile Digital-Thin Film Diode).

    <http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=59>:

    Color LCDs come in many types. STN, TFT, and TFD are several common
    technologies used. STN features low power consumption and low cost,
    at the expense of image quality. TFT features excellent image quality
    and response time, but is expensive and consumes more power. TFD
    combines the best of both.

    See also
    <http://www.mobile-phone-directory.org/Glossary/M/Mobile_Digital_Thin_Film_Diode.html>
    and <http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/tech_news/tnl0112single.pdf>

    MD-TFD technology gives the Z600 a very good display with low power
    consumption, part of the reason the Z600 has better battery life than handsets
    with TFT displays.

    >But not to the high resolution of the V400 or V551
    >which are 176x220 TFT displays.

    The V551 screen is very slightly brighter than the Z600, but the Z600 has
    truer colors, especially in difficult lighting.

    The V551 has higher resolution (176x220 versus 128x160), but the Z600 has a
    larger display, and in practice the difference in sharpness isn't noticeable.

    Text on the V551 display is much smaller, so more fits on a given screen, but
    as a result is much harder to read than the Z600, particularly in difficult
    lighting.

    The V551 display drains the battery much faster than the Z600 display, part of
    the reason the V551 has much less battery life in use than the Z600. (Poor
    Bluetooth and EDGE power management are other factors.)

    Overall, although the differences are small, I prefer the display on the Z600
    to the display on the V551. (I have both phones, so this is based on actual
    experience.)

    >And it only has a CIF camera which is a
    >surprise.

    The camera on the Z600 is unquestionably mediocre and not as good as the
    camera in the V551. But I personally don't care about (or even want) a camera
    in my phone -- some places prohibit phones with cameras, and when I want to
    take pictures I use a real digital camera (Olympus D-40Z) that blows away any
    camera phone.

    (What I'd really like is a handset designed to work with real digital cameras,
    and vice versa, so I could easily use the phone to send pictures taken with
    the real digital camera. Sony, with both products, is really missing the boat
    here IMHO.)

    >They seem to correct alot of deficiences in the Z500 but for some reason, it
    >is not available yet. Too bad Bluetooth was left out.

    For me at least the lack of Bluetooth (and even IR) is a fatal flaw. WHATEVER
    WERE THEY THINKING?!

    >Oh and the Z600 is discontinued in many parts of Asia and Europe.

    Proof? It's still shown as a current product on the Sony Ericsson website.

Bluetooth Battery Phones Motorola