Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Defective PSU, can I use old PSU temporarily?

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2012 8:54:23 PM

Hi I recently built my first computer and everything has been running pretty great! I have had couple issues with spontaneous reboots and today the computer turned off and would not turn back on. The fans started to power but immediately turned off. I tested this PSU in my old system and the same result. I curiously attempted to connect my old PSU to my new system and what do you know, it powered right up. I have to send in the defective PSU and I could be waiting a week or more until I have the replacement.

My question is, can I use my old PSU in my new system until my replacement PSU arrives in the mail without being at risk of causing any problems to the computer? With my current build it is recommended to have at least 550w PSU, the old PSU I would like to use is a 650w Silverstone. The 750w Corsair 750TX is the power supply I was using. Will I be ok using the old power supply? It is around 3 years old I believe.

a c 273 ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 9:11:00 PM

Yes absolutely the Silverstone will be fine!
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 9:11:11 PM

System specs please. You would be hard pressed to make a system that needs more than a 650. If your requirement is only 550 the 650 is more than fine.

Which specific Silverstone is it? If its the Decathalon, or the Impervio then you can probably just stick with that period. If its the Element you probably want to switch it out when the new Corsair comes in.
Related resources
January 19, 2012 10:29:28 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. I am not sure which Silverstone PSU I have, but it is neither of the two you mentioned. My requirement for power according to Newegg is 542w.

My system specs:
Intel i5 2500k
CM Hyper 212 Plus
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHZ 8GB(2x4GB)
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
Crucial M4 64GB SSD

The PSU that I RMA'd is deactivated now on Newegg, so with my refund I will be purchasing an alternative. This is my first experience with Corsair and I am fairly disappointed as I have been told they make great PSU's.

I am temporarily using the old Silverstone 650w PSU and the computer is fully functioning. I shipped out the defective PSU today, and would like to make a purchase this evening of another PSU online.

What are some brands and or models you would recommend that are around the $100 range?
January 19, 2012 10:54:32 PM

I spent around $120 on the Corsair 750TX, so I'd be open to spend around that same price if it meant better quality/reliability PSU. I don't know much about Rosewill, are they a popular/reliable company as far as the PSU businesss?

The Rosewill only has 2 reviews and I wonder if that is because it's a fairly new PSU on the market or what.. I like that it is Gold rated, as the Corsair I am replacing was only 80 plus.
a c 667 ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 10:57:52 PM

Newegg's calculator always has high results you will not even get 500watts using this one which is more correct http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Your 650watt will handle your system fine. Stick with the Corsair just on their reputation over Rosewill.
January 19, 2012 11:32:43 PM

Does it make much difference whether it is bronze, silver or gold rated in terms of reliability? The 750TX that I'm replacing is now discontinued according to that website. Is this due to its age or because of them making them modular? They are now 750TXM (meaning modular?).

The Corsair HX line looks like it would be up my alley as far as price and function. The 650HX appears to be modular it seems but is only bronze certified.

Should I opt in for a semi-modular/modular PSU? I understand that modular capabilities vary by model. Is investing in a 650HX, which is above the TX line, a risky maneuver considering it is I believe a couple years old, and may soon become HXM line..and discontinue my recently purchasing replacement PSU?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 11:36:52 PM

Don't fall into the trap of buying name brand labels blindly. Seasonic makes their own psu's and they are one of the best. Rosewill have had less that perfect psu's in the past but they don't make their own. The Capstone series is made by Superflower. Here is the Jonnyguru's review of the 750 unit which is more or less the same unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Not all psu's from the same line are created equal, mostly because some re-branders use different oem companies to make different units in the same series. For example the Corsair HX series up to the 650 is made by Seasonic, while the HX units over that are made by Channel Well Technologies.

Not all of the Corsair units have an exemplary track record. The CWT units are generally considered good, but they are not top of the line, like their Seasonic units are.

Once you pick a unit, try to find reputable reviews online. Jonnyguru, and HardOCP are some of the more critical reviewers. You can check here to see who really makes the PSU you are about to buy.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

ETA: The 80+ rating is definitely something that is good to have, but its not a 1:1 ratio with reliability. They have to be a little reliable, so they don't blow up when they are getting tested by the company that does 80+. Its best to just research the specific units once you pick one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS
a c 667 ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 11:37:53 PM

80+ Rating is only for efficiency and has nothing to do with reliability! Semi modular is fine since that means that your two powercables that connect the motherboard are not modular. It is with the TX750 like everything else there is progress and mostly now in efficiency therefore they come out with new units!
January 20, 2012 12:08:37 AM

I decided to go with the SeaSonic 620w Bronze rated. It is modular and will provide more than enough power to run my system. Got it for $90 on sale plus $10 for Shipping. SeaSonic seems to be a great company and very reliable. This model has 100% reviews on Newegg. I was considering the Corsair HX series, as some of the components are made by SeaSonic...however, the PSU was more expensive and not even modular!!

The SeaSonic 620w Bronze was a win. Great brand, its modular and the price is great! Thanks all for your input it is much appreciated.
a c 667 ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 12:11:35 AM

Good choice!
January 20, 2012 12:22:12 AM

Best answer selected by trispir.
!