Problems installing Win 7 on a compaq presario cq62. Stalling after \

othlove

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Able to boot Windows 7 CD to install.
Receive the "Windows files..." message
Receive the "Starting Windows" icon/title
Then goes to blank black screen with only the arrow cursor active without any other options.

No response to any key stroke commands. And waited overnight in hopes that it was a delay in install, but results remain the same with blank screen and cursor.

Askura_one

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Have you completed installing windows or is this during one of the restarts? :??:
Have you tried starting in safe mode with F8 or are you not able to get to this.
Maybe one of these might work?

othlove

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Install is from boot - no operating system exist on hard drive. Initially, was unable to get to safe mode due to corrupt files. Attempted a recovery process, but the process could not complete due to error. Resulting in a reboot of system with operating system removed.

Askura_one

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Sounds like it could possibly be the windows install disk thats a problem or a read error with the disk?
May be a problem though as you cannot get into safe mode.
Have you got any spare hard drives/DVD drives you can try?

Askura_one

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Sorry I couldn't help you. :??:
I know how frustrating it can be as I had problems installing when I installed windows 7 as well. I was able to get into f8 menu though.
The only thing I can think of is read error on the disk (the disk itself) or the hard drive itself! :(

Hope you can get it sorted and get windows installed!
Good luck! ;)

Askura_one

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Good thinking!
you could try this if you have this option in bios.
This will prevent you from buying a hard drive if it's not the hard drive! :)

othlove

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Yes, hard drive test cannot be complete due to error. As a result, the new hard drive was the first option. But decided to try software resolutions due to afterwards receiving the no operating system message. In which lead me to the issue that I posted.

Appreciate the attempts!

TomCat1

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
You must eliminate all the traces of your previous operating system and install a new version of windows. Here is a collection of some operating systems from where you can make selection:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DHGMK0?tag=informati0c0c-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B002DHGMK0&adid=1TCYP8XE9HWT2P82ZGPG&