Trouble choosing AMD gaming processor.

goat12

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hi guys,

I am currently choosing an AMD processor for my first build used primarily for gaming. This is the last part i need to purchase since im having so much trouble deciding. After ruling out bulldozer i narrowed the choice down to the Phenom II x6 1090T or the Phenom II x4 980BE, after my research it seems to be that the 980 would be best since the 1090 didn't perform as well in game benchmarks and seemed more suited to multi threaded tasks. The 980 seems a solid choice for gaming from what i've seen and coupled with the easy OC potential i want i think its the right choice but i was just wondering your opinions. Is this a good choice for high quality visuals (BF3 etc) when coupled with my MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II 2gb? Or are there better AMD CPU's for gaming? If so i would really like to know. :p

After doing the research i am a little bummed i didn't go Intel. :( However i had a strange aversion to Intel from the start so meh.

MoBo - ASUS Sabretooth 990FX
GPU - MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II 2gb

Thanks in advance.

the 980be is good but it might be overpriced, try looking at all the prices of the x4s and compare. you'd also want a aftermarket heatsink when you OC.

As for the gpu you could save money getting the 1 gb version which will perform just as well for less money. you'd literally never need the 2 gb of vram.