Solved

Help on building small pc for kids?

Hey i'm a gamer and premade my pc. But now I want to build a budget pc for my kids to learn and play learning games on, without messing up my pc. I was thinking a small mini computer that is easy to move around and can play movies as well. My son is 4 so he needs to learn how to use a keyboard and mouse stuff like that. Any suggestions on combo/deals?

I'm not a newb I'm rocking
p8p67 pro
H70
i5 2500k
tx850watt corsair
corsair 650D
GTX560
8gig vengeance
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help building small kids
  1. Buy a used dell computer or wait until newegg has a combo shell shocker deal on an amd pc.
  2. If you want a very cheap build:

MOBO: Gigabyte m68mt-s2p
    CPU: AMD Semprom 145
    RAM: Kingston DDR3 2GB (1066)
    VGA: OnBoard
    PSU: 400W is more than enough
    CASE: whatever you want
    HDD: whatever you want
    OPTICAL:whatever you want
  3. A Llano build :)
  4. win7guru +1
  5. Best answer
    Most kids educational games could probably be pulled off with integrated graphics (reading rabbit and so forth), but I would splurge for some kind of dedicated card so as he gets older he can play some more advanced games like Civ 5 or whatever.

I'd suggest an intel 1155 so you could give him your 2500k if you upgraded to Ivy Bridge. I'm also going for cheap since a 4-year old kid will not appreciate the difference between a $300 build and a $1000 build.

(All prices from newegg.com)
    CPU: Intel Celeron G530 - $56.99
    MoBo: ASRock H61M-VS - $53.99
    RAM: 4GB (single stick so you can expand later) DDR3 1333 1.5V CAS 9 ~$23
    PSU: CORSAIR CX430 V2 - $20 after all rebates and discounts
    GPU: PowerColor AX5570 1GBD3-H - $39.99 after rebates
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3160316AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 - $34.99
    Optical: whatever - $20
    Case: APEX TX-381-C (has a handle, but you could pick something else) - $32.98

Total - $311.94 after rebates including shipping.

You still need an OS and Windows 7 Home Edition OEM costs ~$99

This could play Civ 5 and should handle any educational game you throw at it. You could swap the case for anything you want, that one just seemed convenient and cheap.
  6. Hey thanks for the tip, that's a great idea!
  7. Best answer selected by balearic.n nnHmm now thinking of doing a shuttle build. Those are sweet
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems