8150 cpu fan noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone, so I have been trying to get to the bottom of this since I installed my new processor.
My current rig
amd 8150
zalman 9700 heatsink
sapphire 6970
ocz 700mxsp (just upgraded to xfx 750 core :)
my fan speeds and cpu usage are going crazy during idle basically
forcing my cpu fan to increase and be really loud, this is despite low temperatures still.
My temps are between 20-40 no higher, this would not even cause the fan to speed up much at all when I had my old phenom installed.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am using amd cool and quiet but I have tried disabling it and same result. I have tried disabling the auto fan control in the bios, same result.
Before this turns into a flame war! I really like my 8150 and I managed to pick it up dirt cheap! thats why I didnt go with the 1090t before you ask!

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Yeah checked mate, everything seems fine and temps are really really low, way lower than my overclocked phenom used to be! the cpu usage just keeps jumping up and this increases the temp, but not to a degree that the fan should increase speed.
But its jumping up when idle and under no strain whatsoever.
I have ran prime 95 for hours and hours with no errors, ran stability test using amd overdrive and everything seems fine no faults or errors. Benchmarked the computer and cpu scores all seem fine. Its really weird

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
no fan controller installed, I use cool n quiet (I kno I know! but I pay alot for electric here so need to save where I can.) one thing I did notice is the zalman only has a 3 pin fan connector where the monitor takes a 4 pin. Make a difference?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Because the 4-pin (PWM) connector/HSF will allow the motherboard to regulate the speed of the fan higher or lower as the temperature changes. With the 3-pin fan and no fan controller, the fan runs at 100% all the time.

Uther39

Distinguished
Yes excessively, due to the fact that it does not have the fine pulse modulation cable that is on a 4 pin connector, which allows the mobo to control the fan in small gradual increments according to the CPUs load.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Are you sure it isn't your GPU fan spinning up/down? Your Zalman is likely at 100% all of the time without the FanMate (I think that is what Zalman calls them) controller attached.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
ah possibly that then yeah.... I remember now actually I used to use a front control panel for cpu fan. Right then, so in that case, why is my graphics card spinning up when idle?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would imagine you don't have good airflow and it is heating up inside your case so the GPU spins up the fan to cool it down.

Make sure your front fans are pulling cool air into the case and that your rear/top fans are sucking hot air out of the case. Also, rearrange any obstructions (as possible) from interfering with your airflow.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey dude, Gpu is sitting no higher than 40 degrees idle, I have a 25 cm front fan on full constantly, I have a 25cm side fan and 12cm rear fan. The case temp at idle is around 27 degrees.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Temps are good. I am a "dude", just not one of those things folks say very often.

Back to your problem. Is your mobo BIOS up to date?

I have a FX-8150 in a Gigabyte mobo along with a HD6970 and see nothing like you are seeing. Have you tweaked the GPU via Catalyst at all?

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
You could remove the side of your case for a while to see if that makes a difference. You can also listen to various fans individually by finding an old cardboard tube from a toiletpaper roll, and pointing it from your ear to each component in the machine (no joke this works well)

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Its seems to definitely be the gpu fan that is doing it. (I use dude all the time) nope not tweaked anything, gpu at stock clock and voltage (cpu overclocked but tried while stock voltage and same result). The reason I thought it was my cpu is because I noticed that there were spikes when it happened while monitoring it through amd overdrive. On a side note did you know that there are 2 hotfixes for bulldozer fx cpu's now to help with single threaded performance? downloaded them today, noticed some general increases in speed but not really tested it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.