Dell Inspiron 531 - Video Graphic Card Replacement (SOLVED)

sorrelaqha

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello,
I hope you all can help me, I have a Dell Inspiron 531 and the memory card fan has died. I need to get a new card but I'm very confused by all the options out there. I don't want to get a card that is too much for my system to handle.

I'm not sure what information you need, but the max power is 300, the existing card is a low profile NVidia part P413.

The replacement part Dell suggested is this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=a0755431#Overview

-- but I'd prefer not to have to spend $109, as money is short which is why I'm looking to replace the card instead of getting a new computer.

I'm not a gamer, I own the Sims and that's the only one. I just want something that will work, if not a bit better, at least not worse than what I had already.

If you need any other information, I'd be happy to find it for you.

sorrelaqha

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Just simply because someone else may have the same question - the video card does work in the Inspiron 531 with a PCI-e (x16) slot.

In case the newegg link breaks, the card is: EVGA 512-P3-1310-LR GeForce 210 512MB 32-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

Part # 512-P3-1310-LR

oldv

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thanks for your post; it sounds similar to my situation. My Dell Inspiron 531 also has a graphics problem. After being turned on for a minute or so, the screen gets vertical lines and the PC locks up. Sometimes it will recover by itself (with a pop-up msg regarding video or graphics problem) but then it quits again. Your original post referred to the memory card, but your final post referred to replacing the video card. I'm about ready to order the card you referred to but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Any comments are much appreciated.

sorrelaqha

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I'm sorry, it should be video card in the first post, oops! Maybe that's why I didn't get any responses. :)

For the record, the computer has started having similar problems again (display and everything just locks, but now I get a never ending beeeeeeeeeeeeep sound) but I've been told it might be a memory issue (I meant to type memory this time). I haven't had a chance to figure it out so it's just been sitting turned off for about two months.