Sign in with
Your question

Pc starts up but no post after cpu upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2012 11:39:23 PM

Hi everyone.

I have this problem at the moment.

I had a Pentium D 3.0 working on a Msi x48 c platinum board and wanted to upgrade the cpu.

Bought a q9550 and tryed to install it. Pc just starts working but wont boot or go to post or anything like that. Just stays black. The pc never beeps and ever beeped before with the pentium.
The bios version is the latest.

Tryed to reset cmos - nothing
remove power cord and use power buton after for 30 secs - nothing
Get on and off cooler - nothing
Changed cpu to intel pentium - boots fine
Changed again to q9550 - same black screen, no post, no nothing

What do you think it might be?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 11:54:44 PM

Have you verified with the manufacturer of the MB that the chip is supported?
Related resources
January 20, 2012 12:03:16 AM

LuisMatos said:
Hi everyone.

I have this problem at the moment.

I had a Pentium D 3.0 working on a Msi x48 c platinum board and wanted to upgrade the cpu.

Bought a q9550 and tryed to install it. Pc just starts working but wont boot or go to post or anything like that. Just stays black. The pc never beeps and ever beeped before with the pentium.
The bios version is the latest.

Tryed to reset cmos - nothing
remove power cord and use power buton after for 30 secs - nothing
Get on and off cooler - nothing
Changed cpu to intel pentium - boots fine
Changed again to q9550 - same black screen, no post, no nothing

What do you think it might be?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

your first step you need to do is remove all detachable devices all ram your bio battery, cd rom,network card,so on ,moniter every thing youwant the bios on boot up to reset motherboard first before changing your cpu ive had to leave unplugged over night before but for quick deal is push button for at least 45 to 60 seconds next youonly want to boot with minimal stuff just put cpu in then ram and then moniter if you dont unplugg moniter still have power source so you havent reset the mother board yet try that get to bios screen also if dont work unatach everything use 2 and 4 slots for ram or 1 and 3 that will tell you if suppose to run in pairs or staggered or just use one stick of ram if you get screen make sure values are right the hd might have your boot info stored and gets confused on start you need to put HBCD in at boot or windows cd to put basic bios back on only way should work good luck lastly make sure you have installed cpu correct and no bent pinns clean cpu socket make sure no broke pins in board
a c 82 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 12:05:07 AM

Did you update your BIOS to the latest version before you upgraded? Odds are you are using a BIOS revision that predates the Q9550, the motherboard can't recognize the CPU, so that's why you're not booting. Download the latest BIOS file from MSI's website and refer to your motherboard's manual for the procedure to update your BIOS. Put in the old Pentium D, update the BIOS, put the Q9550 back in, and hopefully it will work.
January 20, 2012 12:15:22 AM

I did that supernova.
I placed back the old cpu, went to update bios but saw that i was runing on the last version already ( i usualy check for updates) , placed new processor.
Nothing changed...
This is a strange error.
Im a young IT professional. Googled it but nothing solved it so far.
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 1:00:14 AM

Check for any damage or dirt on the CPU or motherboard socket and you should probably try and reflash the BIOS to the latest again for good measure. Also make sure that all power cables are in like to CPU power cable(people tend to forget that).

Also, someone on the MSI forums also had a similar issue, go through it and it might help: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=120304.0;wap2

a c 88 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 1:20:53 AM

check the cpu code against the list that was linked earlier. it may be its a 9550s so may not be supported on that board... unlikely but possible.
are you sure the second cpu is functional...

try this test.
turn on the monitor and leave the pc powered off at the wall... wait for no siganl and time how long it takes for the monitor to go into standby.
turn on the monitor wait for no signal to appear, as soon as it does, hit the power on the pc. if the monitor immediately jumps into standby from a no signal screen faster than it did b4 then your cpu is likley dead.

if you have a spare motherboard speaker off another board. i suggest you attach it in case the board your using is trying to beep code.
January 20, 2012 8:59:01 AM

Ok im going to try those suggestions when I arrive home from work.
What do you think about flashing the bios back to version 7.3.
Googled it and saw that most of the ppl used 7.3 on q9550. Kinda weird but is a chance no?
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:52:36 PM

LuisMatos said:
Ok im going to try those suggestions when I arrive home from work.
What do you think about flashing the bios back to version 7.3.
Googled it and saw that most of the ppl used 7.3 on q9550. Kinda weird but is a chance no?

Definitely give that a try, that is what they were saying in the MSI forums with someone who has a similar issue, they went over to v7.3 and their Q9550 worked in that instance on that board, so i'd give it a try, hope it works ;) 
January 20, 2012 7:35:46 PM

Didnt worked with 7.3, installed a speaker but no sound, and the no signal on monitor is 3 seconds either way. I just dont have another board to try the cpu. What should i do more?
Thanks
June 17, 2012 1:17:14 PM

Hi everyone, I know this is an old topic already but im having the same problem again.
Its the same CPU q9550 but the board is now an Asus p5g41t-m lx.

I click on Power and everything starts to work, but there's no post, no boot, nothing.

The only way I managed to boot the pc is by removing the Graphics card VGA connector and plug it back in after clicking on power.

This is really odd!

I've tried a different GFX card but same problem.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for the help
!