October 19, 2011 7:52:54 PM

here is my build

i7-2600k 3.4 processor
Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler
Sabertooth p67 motherboard (1801 bios)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G
GTX 8800 615mb
(Cant remember power Supply but its 800 watts)

Recently upgrade the CPU fan and the hard drive. It was working good for 2 weeks now. Shut the computer off the other night and turned it on when i got up and the Operating system was corrupt or something and it wasnt bootable anymore. So i had to do a restore on the hard drive. I restored the hard drive to windows 7 64 Bit and randomly a program open will freeze like if i have firefox open and i type in a website randomly firefox will freeze and other programs i have open will freeze. Just alot of random freezing when opening, closing, using a program. Freezing only the program but other programs open still work sometimes.

im not sure if its the hard drive is defective sense its brand new?
im doing a full western digital test on it now but the short test came back as it was good.
but i dont understand why randomly the hard drive would corrupt 2 weeks brand new.

Also my DVD rom drive is going bad so maybe it didnt install correctly when i did the restore?

Power Supply is slightly old/used so not 100 percent sure if maybe thats going bad?

Another thing i can conclude is there is no heating problems that i can see of. the CPU is idle at 32c and doesnt go extreme. If you could point me in the right direction that would be good i cant figure out really whats causing this issue other than the hard drive did that corrupt thing.

More about : system randomly freezes

October 19, 2011 7:54:37 PM

Also forgot to add that when starting the computer up it takes a very long time booting into the operating system. It stays on the Windows Logo at the beginning for a good while.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2011 9:10:52 PM

memtest.org
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 3:17:36 AM

Did the hard drive test which took 12 hours, the hard drive is perfect.
the memtest so far is good with no errors but im gunna wait for it to finish and give you guys the final report. if both turn out great what else could it be?
m
l
October 20, 2011 3:58:20 AM

Probably a corrupt restore from the dvd drive...Being as these are so cheap why not replace it...
My original thought was a bad stick of ram...but see what happens with the mem test...
m
l
October 20, 2011 4:05:17 AM

yea its so random, after i took the side off the computer and ran all those testing it seems fine. The Ram did 1 pass through and im gunna let it run all day tomorrow but no errors. Might be Heat issue but everything in this computer has a heat sink on it but then again i dont have a fan blow air out i only have 1 blowing air in it.
m
l

Best solution

October 20, 2011 4:22:54 AM

If you are only bringing air in, then you are creating a hot box effect I suggest that you rework the fans so that you are removing slightly more air than you bring in. You need to exhaust the hot air from inside the case. The build up of heat could be causing your freeze ups. All heat sinks do it transfer the heat from the hardware to the surrounding air. If that hot air is not removed and replaced with cooler air the heat sinks no longer can transfer the heat off the hardware.
October 27, 2011 4:27:42 AM

figured out what really the problem was,

the hard drive was brand new and all the test turned out good. but the hard drive catcha area was bad (something along those lines) I called the company and had them check/replace the item and it came back as defective from them but luckly im getting a brand new one.
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:01:37 PM

Best answer selected by cocopuff2u.
m
l
!