mzim0710

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Noob here, 1st build. MOBO BIOS defaults installed so far on Asrock P67 Extr4 Gen 3. 2x Crucial 64GB's + WD 2TB. Do I configure drives first? Or install OS THEN configure drive and get driver updates, etc. I want the 2X SSD's as RAID0 I believe unless someone has different advice or suggestions. THANKS.

I usually download the newest chipset, sata/raid, and device drivers from their respected web sites as the ones that come with your motherboard and other devices are usually out dated already.

After assembling the computer I then flash the bios to the newest version, and test ram using memtest86+. If memtest passes, then I install the os and drivers. I then stress test using prime95 running on all cores. If it passes prime95, then I image the drive before installing any programs. If you plan on OC'ing, now is the time to do it (before you install programs), being sure to stress test ram and cpu after each OC cycle.

Anyhow, that's just me. I'm sure others have their own roadmap they follow.

Since you are doing raid, you'll need to configure the raid bios and also the ahci/raid settings in your system bios before installing the OS.

Edit: Be sure to only have the OS drive/array installed before installing the OS. Add the other drives in later or you may end up with a boot loader on one drive and the OS on another.

mzim0710

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for your replies and helpful information. Im also Googling for your information also. But the steps you both have given are greatly appreciated. I sorta just dove into this build and am learning as I go. --Max

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Nice, fairly in-depth method to follow here. Enables a solid and more importantly, stable system :)

Best way to do it to be fair :) You'll never know until you try.

mzim0710

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
mzim again. Im ready to configure drives as I load OS. Site says to load up RAID drivers on a floppy diskette. Fortuneatly I had an old diskette drive from the olden days 10 years ago. Unfortuneatly, it wouldnt read a diskette even after blowing the dust out of it also.
SO, my question here, could I use a flash drive to download the RAID driver to and as the MOBO site says to do, hit F6 at the beginning of the OS load to get them loaded up. Set to AHCI and boot order USB first? Let me know any thoughts please?