Upgrading to 64-bit

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I'm going to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7, and I was wondering:

1. Other than using WET, is there any other way to backup and save you files and settings, and even programs?
2. The data wipe is only effecting the Windows partition (i.e.: C:\) right?

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I've move some documents and backed it up using Windows Easy Transfer. Programs settings, such as AutoCAD Settings and 3D Max has been backed up. I've already done what you've advised so I think that's all.

I'm just worried that installing on C:\ will have effect into other drive. Not really familiar with 64-bit system. Especially in migration.

I take screen shots of my settings, that is the only thing I trust.

If u have the settings done, than after install and updates and all the settings applied, make a back up. So, if anything goes bad one day, this is quick way to come back .

Good luck.

I don't believe programs will migrate. You're not taking a snapshot or an image of your current configuration, so there won't be a complete restore. When you install a program, it creates a registry entry, this will be broken, and not restored by simply running the icon from the windows.old folder.

Your documents and settings will be captured in the C:\Windows.old folder, but programs would need to be reinstalled.