Sign in with
Your question

Corsair XMS3 2000MHz crashing windows 8

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Memory
November 19, 2012 4:37:09 PM

Hello I'm new to this forum (as a register individual) but I'm always reading this forum for reviews and technical issues that may arise from time to time.

So on to the point. I recently, and by that I mean just a week ago I bought a new PC. Fairly powerful if I may add. Below are the specs:

CPU: Inter Core i7 3770K (Ivy Bridge)
MB: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
RAM: DDR3 Corsair PC3-8500F 8GB (part number: CMX8GX3M2A2000C9)
VGA: MSI GTX 680 Lighting
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 GB 120GB
HDD2: WD Black 2TB
Case: Shinobi XL(not that it matters)

When I powered up my computer I did check CPU-Z to see if everything are there and running as intended. All where fine till I went to the memory tab (SPD). There I saw that my ram was running at 533Mhz (which is 1000Mhz+ something) .
Next thing I did was to go to bios and enable the Extreme Memory Profile. On reboot and right when the windows where about to start loading I got the new BSOD from Windows 8 and my pc restarted. So I gave it one more try. Same thing happen and I went again inside the bios. Now my motherboard has a nice interface which updates timing and vaultages and frequencies real time. My memory was running at 2000MHZ but alas I couldn't log into Windows without crashing the computer. I searched online for a solution and I came up with manual configuration, timings and vaultage...that didn't do it either same thing..crash.

So I did what everbody do, memtest86 and believe me I did all the 11 passes(oh god!) and no problem there, memory and cpu cache is clean and with no errors.

So where is the freaking problem?? Can it be Windows 8 related? can it be something else that I didn't do with the OC?

Thank you in advance.

More about : corsair xms3 2000mhz crashing windows

November 20, 2012 11:58:17 AM

Try each stick on its own and see if you can isolate the stick with the problem.
Related resources
a b } Memory
November 20, 2012 12:01:42 PM

The memory is not compatible with that mobo.
See if there is any bios update for the mobo.
November 20, 2012 12:15:15 PM

It certainly could be compatiblity, but it did pass memtest. Did you try upping the voltage a bit?
November 20, 2012 1:02:18 PM

yes I did try to up the voltage to 1.650 - 1.655, didn't want to risk adding more in case I fry anything. But I didn't play with the cpu at all.

At djangoringo:
This was taken from gigabyte Z77X-UD5H specification:

Support for DDR3 2400(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

From what I see it supports up to 2400 overclocked and supports XMP which corsair is designed for that.
Also I have the latest Bios Version 14.
a b } Memory
November 20, 2012 1:08:24 PM

the memory voltage is 1.65V, ivy bridge cpus are intended with 1.5v ram, upping even more the voltage could damage the cpu not so great advice.
Like i said its not in the qualified venders list for that board.
I'd recommend you switch for ddr3 1.5v 1600 for 39.99$
November 20, 2012 1:26:39 PM

oh ok, now I get it! thanks djangoringo. Is there a way to clock the ram to reach 1600 without changing to new modules?
For example if I go to CPUZ in SPD tab I get the following:

JEDEC 1 which runs at 533Mhz (has the timings below) up to Jedec 3 that writes 633MHZ with the timings and vaultage still 1.5v. (only in jedec 4 says 2000Mhz and volatage at 1.65).
!