Corsair XMS3 2000MHz crashing windows 8

Hello I'm new to this forum (as a register individual) but I'm always reading this forum for reviews and technical issues that may arise from time to time.

So on to the point. I recently, and by that I mean just a week ago I bought a new PC. Fairly powerful if I may add. Below are the specs:

CPU: Inter Core i7 3770K (Ivy Bridge)
MB: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
RAM: DDR3 Corsair PC3-8500F 8GB (part number: CMX8GX3M2A2000C9)
VGA: MSI GTX 680 Lighting
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 GB 120GB
HDD2: WD Black 2TB
Case: Shinobi XL(not that it matters)

When I powered up my computer I did check CPU-Z to see if everything are there and running as intended. All where fine till I went to the memory tab (SPD). There I saw that my ram was running at 533Mhz (which is 1000Mhz+ something) .
Next thing I did was to go to bios and enable the Extreme Memory Profile. On reboot and right when the windows where about to start loading I got the new BSOD from Windows 8 and my pc restarted. So I gave it one more try. Same thing happen and I went again inside the bios. Now my motherboard has a nice interface which updates timing and vaultages and frequencies real time. My memory was running at 2000MHZ but alas I couldn't log into Windows without crashing the computer. I searched online for a solution and I came up with manual configuration, timings and vaultage...that didn't do it either same thing..crash.

So I did what everbody do, memtest86 and believe me I did all the 11 passes(oh god!) and no problem there, memory and cpu cache is clean and with no errors.

So where is the freaking problem?? Can it be Windows 8 related? can it be something else that I didn't do with the OC?

Thank you in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about corsair xms3 2000mhz crashing windows
  1. anyone?
  2. Try each stick on its own and see if you can isolate the stick with the problem.
  3. The memory is not compatible with that mobo.
    See if there is any bios update for the mobo.
  4. It certainly could be compatiblity, but it did pass memtest. Did you try upping the voltage a bit?
  5. yes I did try to up the voltage to 1.650 - 1.655, didn't want to risk adding more in case I fry anything. But I didn't play with the cpu at all.

At djangoringo:
    This was taken from gigabyte Z77X-UD5H specification:

Support for DDR3 2400(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
    Support for non-ECC memory modules
    Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

From what I see it supports up to 2400 overclocked and supports XMP which corsair is designed for that.
    Also I have the latest Bios Version 14.
  6. the memory voltage is 1.65V, ivy bridge cpus are intended with 1.5v ram, upping even more the voltage could damage the cpu not so great advice.
    Like i said its not in the qualified venders list for that board.
    I'd recommend you switch for ddr3 1.5v 1600 for 39.99$
  7. oh ok, now I get it! thanks djangoringo. Is there a way to clock the ram to reach 1600 without changing to new modules?
    For example if I go to CPUZ in SPD tab I get the following:

JEDEC 1 which runs at 533Mhz (has the timings below) up to Jedec 3 that writes 633MHZ with the timings and vaultage still 1.5v. (only in jedec 4 says 2000Mhz and volatage at 1.65).
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Windows 8