Closed Solved

Analogy and jumping from Brisbane to Phenom X4 or X6

Presently I have a dual core Athlon 64 X2 that operates at 2.7 GHz. Is it a workable analogy to suggest that each of the cores on the Brisbane is like a Honda CIVIC that can hold four persons and luggage in the trunk for one person. The Brisbane X2 is like having two Honda Civics. Then a Phenom II X4 9xx is like having 4 Honda Accords, and then upgrading to a Phenom II X6 is like upgrading to 6 Honda Pilots?

Since the 960T is based upon the Thuban design then I would essentially be upgrading from two CIVIC's to 4 honda pilots?

The CIVIC is great for driving around town, but I want go places and see things. I want an set out on a cross continental adventure. I need a caravan of four or six 4WD Honda Pilots for all my gear.

How's my cores to cars analogy? Please upgrade the analogy as you see fit.

Do I have it all wrong. Is the Brisbane core a Honda CIVIC the basic model and the phenom II X4 cores Honda CIVIC EX...the deluxe model. Or is it more like a 1 x 2009 Honda Civic is not the same as 4 x 2011 Honda Civics?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about analogy jumping brisbane phenom
  1. ummm I fail to see the use of multiple cars but

the athlon 64 is like a

and the 960t is like a
  2. esrever said:

perhaps my analogy is flawed.

should cores relate more appropriately to multiple engines in a single car/truck?
  3. more ghz = more hp?
    more cores = more cylinders?
  4. esrever said:
    more ghz = more hp?
    more cores = more cylinders?

ok. I like that.

Athlon 64 x2 = inline 4 cylinder

Phenom II x4 = V8
    Phenom II X6 = V12

Maybe?
  5. each individual phenom core is more robust than a brisbane core, right? multiple cores are better than one, right?
  6. Best answer
    The cores in a Phenom II X6 Processor are mostly the same as the cores in a AMD Phenom II X4 but the stepping is different. The X6 has better power handling capabilities and of course has the turbo core technology. Don't know that you will be able to find an X6 now, though. I would certainly recommend an X6.

Think of more cores as being able to do more at any one time and not necessarily doing any of those things faster. The X6 will do things faster and will do more things but those are different concepts, don't try to make them the same.

If a program is made from the ground up to be highly multi-threaded, more cores can mean doing things faster. But I mean simultaneous multiprocessing, that is, made from the ground up to be highly multi-threaded where each of the threads do work at the same time.
  7. r0ck3tm@n said:
    The cores in a Phenom II X6 Processor are mostly the same as the cores in a AMD Phenom II X4 but the stepping is different. The X6 has better power handling capabilities and of course has the turbo core technology. Don't know that you will be able to find an X6 now, though. I would certainly recommend an X6.

Think of more cores as being able to do more at any one time and not necessarily doing any of those things faster. The X6 will do things faster and will do more things but those are different concepts, don't try to make them the same.

If a program is made from the ground up to be highly multi-threaded, more cores can mean doing things faster. But I mean simultaneous multiprocessing, that is, made from the ground up to be highly multi-threaded where each of the threads do work at the same time.

So what your saying is the jump from an Athlon Brisbane Dual Core 2.7GHz to a Phenom II X4 or X6 will be a worthwhile improvement for even a casual home office user.

I'm trying to justify buying a 960T. It's rated at 3.0 GHz. I want a processor rated equal to or greater than 3.2 GHz. But, my favorite supplier is out of the 955s and 965s. #the phenom II purchasing window is closing soon.#

My mb cpu support list includes Phenom II X4 925, 945, 955, 960, 960T, and 965. The only one my mb lists as supported and available through my favorite supplier is the 960T. But, I read mixed performance reviews about it. The 1055T is available but it's more cpu than I need. *geeze: this guy is a real piece of work.* The Athlon II X4 3.0 GHz 640 Propus is available too...but the Phenom II's look so much more sparkly.

I was hoping that responses to my query direct me towards the 960T and help me feel really good about buying it. <cheeky grin>
  8. Buy the 960T its a bargain CPU right noe and dont forget the 960T is basicaly a Phenom X6 with 2 cores disabled, so with the right mobo and good luck in the CPU you can unlock it to an X6 again.
  9. r0ck3tm@n said:

For the sake of my own curiosity, if we could take a single core from my X2 Brisbane and compare it against a single core from an Athlon II X2 single core and a single core against a Phenom II X4's or X6's. Is it safe to say then that each core from a Phenom II is "better than" or "more robust than" an Athlon II's individual core is greater than the Brisbane single core?

If you have 500 hundred people that need to cross a river and there is no bridge, a ferry company with only a single ferry with a 5 person capacity is good, but a ferry company with four or six ferry's with 8 person capacity per ferry is better yet.

Since a Phenom II X4 has individual cores that are superior to the Athlon 64 X2 Brisbanes, the Phenom II X4 is more than twice as powerful than the X2 Brisbane. Yes/No?

I'm trying to get a grasp of the technological or architectural differences between Athlon 64 X2 and Phenom II. I am believing that something like the Phenom II X4 is better than Brisbane X2 for more reasons than simply understanding that the Phenom II X4 has twice as many cores but then each individual core is superior which would make the Phenom II X4 more than twice as power than the Brisbane.

The Bulldozer cpu...it seems that the reviews are wholly favorable.

Bulldozer 1.5 times better technology than Phenom II is 1.75 times better technology than Athlon II is 1.5 times better technology than Athlon 64.

OK? or not ok?
  10. Best answer selected by toddstew.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dual Core Phenom