Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What should I go for?

Last response: in Memory
Share
November 19, 2012 4:59:57 PM

Hey,

I need help on my new build, this is what I've got so far:

Graphics Card: (x2) EVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper
Processor: Intel i7-3970x
Power Supply: Corsair Digital AX1200i Full Modular
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Now then, I need more stuff but I need Memory first. Price doesn't matter as long as it's the best memory out there...

I want 64GB (8 x 8GB). Also does my Processor and Motherboard match to get a high-end RAM; as in 2100Mhz? Or do I have to get a 1600Mhz? Aso, I want to water-cool them...

More about : question

a b } Memory
November 20, 2012 3:35:01 AM

This is about the fastest, largest kit I could find that stays within the 1.5v threshold spec'ed by Intel, you'll need two of them. CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB 2133MHz CMZ32GX3M4A2133C10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You will also want ram coolers since with a waterblock, there is little airflow over the ram. Asus recommends their use when all ram banks are filled anyway.
November 20, 2012 5:22:02 PM

But my Processor can only hold up to 1600Mhz and My motherboard can hold up to 2400Mhz. So what if I get a 2133Mhz? What will happen? Will the Mhz decrease and decrease the performance to a 1600Mhz Memory Card; Which would be a waste of money...
Related resources
November 20, 2012 6:04:07 PM

Bestkid said:
But my Processor can only hold up to 1600Mhz and My motherboard can hold up to 2400Mhz. So what if I get a 2133Mhz? What will happen? Will the Mhz decrease and decrease the performance to a 1600Mhz Memory Card; Which would be a waste of money...



That depends greatly on how you go about setting up your bios. With the higher count memory you have more room to overclock. The motherboard you have seems to support this. I've recently gone with 1333mhz 16GB in a dual channel kit which I've been having issues with, but I can still play WoW on Ultra without overclocking the processor or memory. I went with an ASRock MOBO and the FX8120.
November 20, 2012 6:34:08 PM

stoutgamer79 said:
That depends greatly on how you go about setting up your bios. With the higher count memory you have more room to overclock. The motherboard you have seems to support this. I've recently gone with 1333mhz 16GB in a dual channel kit which I've been having issues with, but I can still play WoW on Ultra without overclocking the processor or memory. I went with an ASRock MOBO and the FX8120.


So what If I got a 1600Mhz 64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel Memory? Is it good? Or should I get a higher card with a higher Mhz? I do not want to overclock any of my pc.
a b } Memory
November 20, 2012 6:59:17 PM

Bestkid said:
I do not want to overclock any of my pc.

I apologize, my misunderstanding. A quad channel 64GB kit at 1600MHz (which shouldn't require any BIOS changing) and 9-9-9-24 timings should work fine "out of the box". This Corsair Vengeance kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... seems to fit the bill.
a b } Memory
November 20, 2012 8:42:19 PM

djangoringo said:
Wait for the corsair platinum 3000 mhz ddr3 1.5v for ivy bridge.
http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/corsair-dominator-platin...

then you'll have a ultra-hiper benchmark pc.

Neat stuff but you'll notice they did underclock the CPU along with other BIOS changes which I think is not desired here - I'm fairly sure IB is still limited to 1600MHz ram natively.
!