"diesel" 255 watt video card?

joeychizzel

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I currently have a dell optiplex with 16 gigs of ram and a quad q9650 cpu. my psu is 255 watt. There is no possible way to upgrade my psu higher than 255 watt (it is a desktop machine, PSUs are only 255). I need a video card for my games but i don't know what would be the best card that only a 255 watt will need. I mostly plan on using it for diablo 3 and probably some modern warfare. i'm sure these low profile cards are gonna be pretty cheap so price isn't a problem. Any information or tips or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. thank you!

My 'desktop' PC has a 620w PSU, why are you limited to 255w?

joeychizzel

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
i have the business optiplex 780s they come in 3 forms - the MT, DT, SFF all different sizes. the one i have is the DT which is technically the worst because there are no 3rd party psu upgrades, so i'm stuck with 255 watts. that's why i was hoping for the 'best' low profile card that will be okay with my 255watt psu and q9650. any tips and info is greatly appreciated.

5450 it is the most economical card when it comes to power use and it is the best that you will be able to do on such a limited psu. If you want any more there are supplementary units that mount into a 5 1/4 bay like a optical drive but run a cable outside the machine for power source. Inside the case they are like any other psu except they only put out 12v.