2500K or Ivy Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of a new CPU and I was wondering if I should get a 2500k or would it be wise to wait and get a Ivy Bridge i5.I hear the release date is rumored to be somewhere around April and that's kind of close.How much of a difference would I see going with a Ivy Bridge i5 over the 2500k when it comes to gaming?

My budget is around $200.

At the same clockspeed, IB will probably only have roughly a 6% increase in CPU performance compared to SB. Regarding gaming performance, there will probably be no to very little improvement in performance. This is because most games are not limited by the CPU, so as long as it is fast enough performance will be based on the GPU. If you play a game that is very CPU dependent, then maybe you will see as much as a 4% increase in performance.

IB CPUs might be released at higher clockspeeds and they may overclock better, but that's just speculation at the moment.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I have never heard so much ******* in a thread in my life. Leave it to Tom's.

Absolutely wait for IB. There is ZERO incentive to get a 32nm 2500k when you can enjoy a 22nm that will overclock much higher and have a better IPC than SB.

what is wrong with you 2500k fans. You mad you bought the 2500k? Its a great processor - we get it. But IB will be better in every way so stop derping plz.

Wait for IB - its only a few months away. People above me, stop giving advice.

I'd suggest you watch your language. You can also state your opinion with out trying to start a CPU war. :pfff:

arthurh

nice posting a article from feb 2011... with no proof of anything...

Language in quote.

That's not proof. Proof is actual benchmarks.

My estimate is based on the fact that this will be the 3rd version of the Core i3/i5/i7 CPU and that Haswell be released next year. Without any further information, I prefer to go with an conservative estimate rather than an overblown estimate until benchmarks are actually released.

Would I prefer the actual performance increase to be more than 6%? Of course I would, that should mean that Haswell's performance should be even better. I'm skipping Intel's current CPU series.

Also, watch your mouth.

Language in quote.

Piledriver is an incremental update of Bulldozer.

AMD estimates a 10% improvement over Bulldozer. I need to mention though that AMD stated their estimate before Bulldozer was release to retail and before any reviews of Bulldozer.

If the 10% performance increase holds true, then Piledriver will be about as powerful as the 1st generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. Ivy Bridge is the 3rd generation.

This is something that werxen should appreciate... an unsubstantiated estimate of performance increase.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20111004232129_AMD_s_Next_Generation_Piledriver_Micro_Architecture_Expected_to_Offer_10_Performance_Advantage.html

I will add that 10% improvement in performance is reasonable since there have been other CPUs which improved performance by 10% after only one generation.

No I will need a new Mobo as well.Without selling my current AM3+ mobo I have around $130 or less to spend on a 1155 mobo.Hopefully I'll be able to sell my AM3+ mobo on Ebay or something to add another $120.So i'll have around $200 to spend on a 1155 mobo.

I'm also a little curious as to know which chipset is right for me.It's my understanding that the P and Z chipsets are what I should be looking at.But can anyone explain the difference please.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
If you not in a hurry just wait and get the Ivy-Bridge, due to new manufacturing process and the 3D-gates the CPU technically will support better OC, lower temps. And with traditional optimizations will be faster.

i5-2500k will be substituted for an Ivy-Bridge equivalent, probably at same price tag. They won't need to raise the price cause they will have a better margin already.

(Better margin -> since it can deploys more CPUs per waffer produced due to CPU size)

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Yeah, Z68. and not because more, but I think it's because it combines the best of P67 & H67 in the sense that you can freely overclock and switch between integrated and discrete GPU (Virtu), as well. I think I remember reading that somewhere...

Well, the Z68 offers the convenience of being able to use the integrated graphics core should you discrete video card fail. Think of it as a safety net, but most people probably will not care for it too much. It may be worth it depending on the price difference between a P67 motherboard that you like and a Z68 mobo that you like. If the price difference is somewhat large, then going for a P67 would probably be better.

You don't strike me as a person who is looking to encode video, in any case, Quick Sync's video quality is at best okay.

If you plan on getting a SSD in the future, then the SSD cache ability is probably the most valuable feature since it allows you to potentially buy a smaller SSD drive and save some money. But again it depends on the price difference between a P67 mobo and Z68 mobo.

Well I have a old 5570 lying around so if my main GPU does fail i'll just use that so I can't really see that of much use.The SSD cache sounds good but I already have a SATA II SSD and I plan to get another for RAID in the future,i'm sure SATA II will be much cheaper by then.

Would going with either chipset allow for a higher O.C. or are they pretty much the same in that aspect?

EDIT:After browsing a bit it seems the bulk of the PCI-E 3.0 support is on the Z68.

^^^

If that's the case, then I would buy a Z68 mobo. While the recently released Radeon HD 7xxx series and the upcoming nVidia GTX 6 series will not be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot, it is a good idea to go with a PCI-e 3.0 slot if you intend on upgrading to a high performance video card in the future like when the Radeon HD 8xxx series is released. Will a high end HD 8xxx video card be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot? Too early to tell...

You're still waiting for haswell right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.