Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2500K or Ivy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 2:53:00 AM

I'm in need of a new CPU and I was wondering if I should get a 2500k or would it be wise to wait and get a Ivy Bridge i5.I hear the release date is rumored to be somewhere around April and that's kind of close.How much of a difference would I see going with a Ivy Bridge i5 over the 2500k when it comes to gaming?

My budget is around $200.

More about : 2500k ivy bridge

a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 2:58:36 AM

probably 1 fps at the most.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 3:21:35 AM

Not much of a difference between the 2500k and equivalent IB. Buy a cpu now and enjoy it.
Score
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 3:41:56 AM

At the same clockspeed, IB will probably only have roughly a 6% increase in CPU performance compared to SB. Regarding gaming performance, there will probably be no to very little improvement in performance. This is because most games are not limited by the CPU, so as long as it is fast enough performance will be based on the GPU. If you play a game that is very CPU dependent, then maybe you will see as much as a 4% increase in performance.

IB CPUs might be released at higher clockspeeds and they may overclock better, but that's just speculation at the moment.

Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:36:05 AM

I have never heard so much ******* in a thread in my life. Leave it to Tom's.

Absolutely wait for IB. There is ZERO incentive to get a 32nm 2500k when you can enjoy a 22nm that will overclock much higher and have a better IPC than SB.

what is wrong with you 2500k fans. You mad you bought the 2500k? Its a great processor - we get it. But IB will be better in every way so stop derping plz.

Wait for IB - its only a few months away. People above me, stop giving advice.

I'd suggest you watch your language. You can also state your opinion with out trying to start a CPU war. :pfff: 

arthurh
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:37:23 AM

werxen said:

Wait for IB - its only a few months away. People above me, stop giving advice.

Do you have proof of IB's performance?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:40:05 AM

jaguarskx said:
Do you have proof of IB's performance?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bridge-to-have-20-perce...

But alas, I forgot you are such an expert on CPUs that you somehow mystically generated a 6% increase out of your ***.

Wait for IB.

Language! :pfff: 

arthurh
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:45:57 AM

werxen said:

But alas, I forgot you are such an expert on CPUs that you somehow mystically generated a 6% increase out of your ***.

OP, don't listen to these tools. Wait for IB.

nice posting a article from feb 2011... with no proof of anything...

Language in quote.
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:48:49 AM

werxen said:

OP, don't listen to these tools. Wait for IB.

That's not proof. Proof is actual benchmarks.

My estimate is based on the fact that this will be the 3rd version of the Core i3/i5/i7 CPU and that Haswell be released next year. Without any further information, I prefer to go with an conservative estimate rather than an overblown estimate until benchmarks are actually released.

Would I prefer the actual performance increase to be more than 6%? Of course I would, that should mean that Haswell's performance should be even better. I'm skipping Intel's current CPU series.

Also, watch your mouth.

Language in quote.
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:54:38 AM

Since you like pulling out unsubstantiated articles from the past (early 2011), here's one that you should agree with...

AMD's Bulldozer Microprocessors Expected to Offer 50% Higher Performance than Core i7, Phenom II Chips.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20110114134306...
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 5:08:42 AM

i3-2100, no significant difference if you are gaming.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 5:39:42 AM

Is Piledriver based off of Bulldozer or is it a totally different arch?
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 6:02:14 AM

Piledriver is an incremental update of Bulldozer.

AMD estimates a 10% improvement over Bulldozer. I need to mention though that AMD stated their estimate before Bulldozer was release to retail and before any reviews of Bulldozer.

If the 10% performance increase holds true, then Piledriver will be about as powerful as the 1st generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. Ivy Bridge is the 3rd generation.

This is something that werxen should appreciate... an unsubstantiated estimate of performance increase.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20111004232129...

I will add that 10% improvement in performance is reasonable since there have been other CPUs which improved performance by 10% after only one generation.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 6:30:46 AM

you need just a cpu, you have a 1155 mobo?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 6:37:33 AM

No I will need a new Mobo as well.Without selling my current AM3+ mobo I have around $130 or less to spend on a 1155 mobo.Hopefully I'll be able to sell my AM3+ mobo on Ebay or something to add another $120.So i'll have around $200 to spend on a 1155 mobo.

I'm also a little curious as to know which chipset is right for me.It's my understanding that the P and Z chipsets are what I should be looking at.But can anyone explain the difference please.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 9:00:15 AM

If you not in a hurry just wait and get the Ivy-Bridge, due to new manufacturing process and the 3D-gates the CPU technically will support better OC, lower temps. And with traditional optimizations will be faster.

i5-2500k will be substituted for an Ivy-Bridge equivalent, probably at same price tag. They won't need to raise the price cause they will have a better margin already.

(Better margin -> since it can deploys more CPUs per waffer produced due to CPU size)
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 7:57:16 PM

So I guess i'm gonna want to go with a Z68 chipset then because it's got all the same stuff that the P67 has but more.
Score
January 20, 2012 8:28:26 PM

purple stank said:
So I guess i'm gonna want to go with a Z68 chipset then because it's got all the same stuff that the P67 has but more.

Yeah, Z68. and not because more, but I think it's because it combines the best of P67 & H67 in the sense that you can freely overclock and switch between integrated and discrete GPU (Virtu), as well. I think I remember reading that somewhere...
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 8:50:44 PM

purple stank said:

Well, the Z68 offers the convenience of being able to use the integrated graphics core should you discrete video card fail. Think of it as a safety net, but most people probably will not care for it too much. It may be worth it depending on the price difference between a P67 motherboard that you like and a Z68 mobo that you like. If the price difference is somewhat large, then going for a P67 would probably be better.

You don't strike me as a person who is looking to encode video, in any case, Quick Sync's video quality is at best okay.

If you plan on getting a SSD in the future, then the SSD cache ability is probably the most valuable feature since it allows you to potentially buy a smaller SSD drive and save some money. But again it depends on the price difference between a P67 mobo and Z68 mobo.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:26:53 PM

"But again it depends on the price difference between a P67 mobo and Z68 mobo."

With the difference being 20 or 25, I would buy the Z68 just to know I've got the extra features should I ever want them.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:27:48 PM

Well I have a old 5570 lying around so if my main GPU does fail i'll just use that so I can't really see that of much use.The SSD cache sounds good but I already have a SATA II SSD and I plan to get another for RAID in the future,i'm sure SATA II will be much cheaper by then.

Would going with either chipset allow for a higher O.C. or are they pretty much the same in that aspect?

EDIT:After browsing a bit it seems the bulk of the PCI-E 3.0 support is on the Z68.
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:47:57 PM

^^^

If that's the case, then I would buy a Z68 mobo. While the recently released Radeon HD 7xxx series and the upcoming nVidia GTX 6 series will not be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot, it is a good idea to go with a PCI-e 3.0 slot if you intend on upgrading to a high performance video card in the future like when the Radeon HD 8xxx series is released. Will a high end HD 8xxx video card be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot? Too early to tell...
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 10:16:37 PM

jaguarskx said:
^^^

If that's the case, then I would buy a Z68 mobo. While the recently released Radeon HD 7xxx series and the upcoming nVidia GTX 6 series will not be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot, it is a good idea to go with a PCI-e 3.0 slot if you intend on upgrading to a high performance video card in the future like when the Radeon HD 8xxx series is released. Will a high end HD 8xxx video card be bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 slot? Too early to tell...

You're still waiting for haswell right? ;) 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 10:17:05 PM

I was hearing that with a PCI-E 3.0 slot you could run it at x4 and use a 2.0 card on it and not suffer any decrease in performance.

As far as futureproofing goes yeah I think it is best to go fro a PCI-E 3.0.
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 10:53:00 PM

amuffin said:
You're still waiting for haswell right? ;) 

Yep. Just saying that if I were to choose between the P67 and Z68 mobos.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 11:21:58 PM

Is their any difference between the chipsets when it comes to O.C.ing?
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 11:35:37 PM

Not sure, but it seems many people are able to OC the i5-2500k to 4.5GHz. I would just read reviews of the motherboards you are interested in to find out what the general OC consensus is. Just be aware that OCing depends on both the CPU and the mobo, some i5-2500ks can overclock over 4.5GHz and some may not even reach 4.5GHz.

Exactly what are your current PC specs? I believe Ivy Bridge is expected to be released on April 8th. That's a little more than 3 months away, but if you think you can live with your current PC for that much longer then you can finally see if Ivy Bridge's CPU performance over Sandy Bridge will be mediocre (my current opinion) or be closer to the 20% estimate reported back in Jan/Feb 2011.

Way back in early 2006 I was looking to upgrade my Athlon XP 2500+ with an Athlon 64 X2 of some sort. However, due to the buzz about Intel's Core 2 Duo, I decided to wait the 6 months (yep, 6 months) for benchmarks. If Intel's C2D performance was not going to be as good or better than the Athlon 64 X2, then I would buy the Athlon 64 X2.

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that Intel took back the gaming performance crown from AMD when the Core 2 Duo / Quad CPUs were released. Intel lost it to AMD with the release of the Athlon XP CPU series back in back in 2003. I think it started with the Barton core, but it's been a long time so it could have then before that particular core release.

Score
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 11:38:06 PM

I think the p67 is actually slightly better for OC than z68 but I don't have anything to back it up, I just seem to have remember reading that somewhere,
Score
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 12:11:19 AM

Yah i'm definitly going to wait for Ivy Bridge it sound to me like it's all around better than than Sandy Bridge.I believe even that someone said in an earlier post that Ivy Bridge should yield a higher O.C. because of the smaller die size or something.
Score
January 22, 2012 3:50:59 AM

purple stank said:
Yah i'm definitly going to wait for Ivy Bridge it sound to me like it's all around better than than Sandy Bridge.I believe even that someone said in an earlier post that Ivy Bridge should yield a higher O.C. because of the smaller die size or something.

As someone else said, if you don't mind waiting 2.5-3 months, then wait for Ivy; if you want something now, the 2500K will likely perform similar in most things, i.e., I don't think you need to be afraid of your friends that might have an Ivy Bridge 4 months from now showing you up or anything. Not really sure how smaller fab. tech automatically equates to greater overclockability. The current unlocked i5 has PLENTY of headroom, I have had my 2500K stable at 4.8GHz, and I even had it going at 5.0 for a short period on nothing more than a Hyper212+.
Score
a c 81 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:47:55 AM

i noticed that one of the biggest change with ivb is pcie 3.0 native support. so far gaming hasn't shown any advantage over pcie 2.0, but that could change in the future. only gpu compute shows improvement. afaik pcie standards change every 4 years, so pcie 3.0 should be around till 2015-2016.
since this is a die shrink, cpu performance might increase marginally.
Score
a c 473 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 12:15:30 PM

purple stank said:

I said it's possible, but not guaranteed. It is also possible that stock speeds will be a little higher than Sandy Bridge.

As long as you think your current PC is fast enough, then you might as well wait until April for Ivy Bridge.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 5:37:17 AM

Does anyone know what the price of the Ivy Bridge i5 would be? Any leaked info?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 2:28:35 AM

Thanks for that.

Should I buy a motherboard now or should I wait? I've heard that Intel is releasing some new mobo's soon but I haven't heard much about them.Should that be something I should look out for?
Score
January 29, 2012 3:53:58 AM

people tend to overlook that some games are gpu bound (where they will show benchies with no immediate difference in fps, hence the dude suggesting a 1 fps difference) regardless of CPU, and some are CPU bound.

2500Ks are good, but IBs will definitely be better.

people did the same with the 920s/930s when SB came out..
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:24:49 AM

920's/930's whats that?

Just interested in knowing what benefits the new mobo's will have over the current ones.And if it's something I should look into.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks really nice(basically the same as my 990FXA board)but i've been hearing a lot about the gigabyte boards burning up.I've heard the UD-7 and 2011 board burn up.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:37:33 AM

Only that one model, the UD7, had a problem as you describe. It's since been discontinued.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 7:22:02 AM

So do you think it's safe to say their's nothing wrong with the UD-3?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 7:27:27 AM

That's correct
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 3:42:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Arthurh
Score
!