MSI970A-G46 with 8Gb of unsuable RAM Window 8

acheton

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hi all,

I have just received a new machine running an MSI 970A-G46 Mobo with 16GB of RAM in 2x8Gb DDR3. The machine is running Windows 8 x64. However only 8Gb of RAM is usable with the remained marked as "hardware reserved" in Resource Monitor. I have checked the usual things like moving the RAM into other the other slots and the "Maximum memory" option in msconfig.

Is anyone able to help me get the balance of the RAM recognized by Windows properly please?

thanks

Ach

Solution
You guys should try evening out the voltages in your bios.. set your nb and sb to 1.2v and change your ram v in increments of suggested v by the manufacturer. Even out the hypertransport at 2000.. put your ram at a lower speed like 1300mhz.. (if you overclock your ram through the FSB while you have it set to a lower speed like 1300mhz it will be faster having it at like 1490mhz(from fsb overclock) than 1800mhz and it will be safer and more stable) The hardware reserved issue has to do with voltages and the nb getting crossfeed from your cpu and ram.. you have to level them otherwise you will always have the issue. This advice is for the 970a-g46. Hope this helps you guys.

heuristik

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Just to add to the thread's validity, I too am having the same issue. 32 GB installed, only 23.8 available according to Windows.

The MSI tool shows 24 GB available, system info reports 32 GB with 23.8 useable.

TBfnJq

http://sdrv.ms/TBfnJq[ is a link to a screenshot.

acheton

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for the note, in the end I found a solution. I lowered the speed of the RAM from ~2800 to around 2300 and Windows recognised the additional 8GB of RAM. Not sure why this worked but it did! Hope this might be a help to you and thanks for the suggestions.

Taunchi

Honorable
May 18, 2013
You guys should try evening out the voltages in your bios.. set your nb and sb to 1.2v and change your ram v in increments of suggested v by the manufacturer. Even out the hypertransport at 2000.. put your ram at a lower speed like 1300mhz.. (if you overclock your ram through the FSB while you have it set to a lower speed like 1300mhz it will be faster having it at like 1490mhz(from fsb overclock) than 1800mhz and it will be safer and more stable) The hardware reserved issue has to do with voltages and the nb getting crossfeed from your cpu and ram.. you have to level them otherwise you will always have the issue. This advice is for the 970a-g46. Hope this helps you guys.

Solution