shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'm going to build my first System i'll put warranty's on some items CPU is a must and GPU AND MoBo is what I'm wondering about should I get a warranty on those two items or not? They don't break ever besides getting fried but I'm not over clocking... Thanks

Franzks

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I've never had a broken MoBo before, it lasts me years (I bought an ASUS one every time). The GPU however, I have experienced a dead GPU twice already (both Nvidia and Radeon).

Franzks

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Definitely get a warranty for CPU. Actually, if you have the money for it, I'd suggest get a warranty on every piece of expensive hardware you can. Just because you never had a certain piece of component die out on you yet doesn't mean that those do not fail. My PSU died out on me yesterday, it was the first time for me.

I worked in desktop support for a large corporation.
Motherboards do go bad sometimes but we always had Dell or HP come out to replace them to save us time doing it. After three years (no warranty), more of them would start to have mobo problems like nic card not working; onboard video not working etc.

As for the GPU cards, it would usually be fan failure after about a year or so.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
All depends on how expensive it is. If you are using mid grade components, not getting the warranty on everything would save you enough to just buy a new part outright if something breaks.

If its a top of the line Intel CPU however, thats a load of cash to lay down on something without a long warranty on it.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007

Snap

Most parts will come with a decent manufacturers warranty and on top of that you generally get atleast 30 days of DOA time from the seller.

Your money is better spend on better parts or getting your local techy friend to assembly it for you.

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Do I actually have to buy the warranty to get the life time warranty? And how long do you think my CPU, PSU, GPU, MoBo will live for, if my MoBo dies or any other part how will I replace them or how will I replace the MoBo?

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Honestly I only think I should put a warranty on the stuff I actually need, as in like the CPU I'll probably not need a warranty on it because I'll upgrade it stuff like the GPU and MoBo I'll probably need a warranty on the CPU and PSU i'll upgrade in the future with a K chip and a bigger 750 W PSU.

P.S. I'm just afraid of breaking the CPU when putting it in, anyway I should handle it as in like a technique?