riser

Illustrious
I have 48 locations with WINS installed and kind of configured, not by my doing though. I'm a DNS kinda guy.

So 48 locations.. if I try to ping the server by name from a desktop, nothing. Ping IP, of course it's fine.
Some desktops can ping by netbios name, but most can't. But the Host file has this stuff hard coded in it which is why it's working.

Most of the locations have AD installed but nothing connected to the domain, each is their own tree. (don't lecture me on it, I know how stupid that is and I'm working on trying to figure out the best way to combine 48 trees into a nice little well trimmed forest, but they're all different domains meaning I'm going to get stuck uninstalling AD to join to the forest, but that's something else).

Anyhow.. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get all locations working with WINS.. Why are we using WINS? Because my boss is stuck in the 90s, likes WINS and listens to Motley Crue every day while cursing the day Nirvana came around.

Anyone have an idea on what a simple fix would be? Aside from creating a host file and importing it to all the servers/desktops.

Is there an easy way of creating a host file for all locations, 1500ish PCs?
I'm not working with a domain and I can't pull from DNS.

I probably should put some more info in here, but I'll wait to see what I get back from everyone.. I've been looking around on Microsoft but that's a little dry reading for a Friday with nice weather outside.

Riser

mkbean

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
Wow it seems like you are going to have a rough time with a 48 tree domain (hopefully single forest) with a lot of it using WINS. First off, I’m sure you have this but I want to make sure that you are using DNS across your network. Not because it works but because Active Directory relies on it and your network will not run without it. WINS is needed because of down-level clients (9X or NT) or because of applications that require it. (good luck finding out which do and don't)

Your best bet to get all your clients configured is to use DHCP. Configure your DHCP server to have an option for WINS servers and a NetBIOS node type of 0X8. Remember to configure the WINS servers as clients to themselves for WINS too. The best topology would be to use some form of a hub and spoke model. It will keep replication times down between your WINS servers.

You could use what is called an LMHosts file which is similar to a HOST file but this one is for NetBIOS name resolution while HOST files are used for Host name resolution (the Internet type of names). This method would be extremely painful to implement because ever since W2K the LMHost file has been turned off. Meaning that the file is there but it has a .sam extension which means it is a sample file. You could go into the TCP/IP settings of all your clients and configure them to download one but again DHCP is your best bet.

I hope this helps a bit but if not let me know.

Brian
www.AdminPrep.com
Your Source for IT Articles

riser

Illustrious
I've been at the company about 7 months. I set up DNS at 4 of the locations I've visited. AD is installed, but not used. User accounts are created, but computers are not joined to the domain. Shares are mapped based on a local computer username/password matching up with AD. Basically, 2 accounts, one on the server, one on the computer. Each user can only log into the one computer they've been set up on. It's a huge mess.

From what I'm seeing, the WINS servers are not updating across the network, which I can change. My problem is the computers are not registering in WINS. Ideally, I want all computers to register in WINS and all servers to communicate across the network. But since things are such a mess with the network, different domains, different passwords for same accounts, it's a mess on trying to get servers to talk.
WINS is running on the DHCP server and I believe the server is a client of itself, which is standard setup. I wasn't the one setting up WINS but for my headaches, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. The sad part is that none of the servers seem to be set up the same. No method/process was followed in setting them up, the guy set them up based on his memory.. and setting up 40+ servers over the course of 10 years, well that takes good memory.

I don't want to create a lmhost file. I'm thinking I'll get DNS up and running and say screw anything less than Win2k. It's just a matter of time consumption to get all the servers set up, talking to each other and replicating their DNS registrations.
I wouldn't mind figuring out why the computers are not registering on the WINS server.
Again, this whole set up is all in various workgroups, no computers are joined to the existing domains. Why? Because my boss doesn't understand domains. heh.

Riser